ATI cards on Win 7/Vista 64

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/ATI cards on Win 7/Vista 64

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#1]
I've been getting a few complaints from users that my MiniB3D powered game doesn't work on their systems. They are all Windows 7/Vista 64bit machines with ATI cards. In most cases the game won't run at all, but in some (where users have fiddled with settings) the game will look like this:

Which looks slightly slike the textures aren't being loaded?

Cances are this is a driver issue, as it runs just fine on everything else, but if there is a chance i can fix the problem i'd like to try. Unfortunately i don't have a 64bit machine running one of those OSs or an ATI card to test it on, so i was hoping to begin with i could see if any of you guys could at least confirm the problem if you have a win7/vista 64 machine with an ATI card.

Here's a link to the game:
http://www.charliesgames.com/demo/BulletCandyPerfectWinDemo.zip

If anyone could shed a bit of light on this that would be amazing!

Cheers
Charlie

ima747(Posted 2010) [#2]
Until further notice I would assume it's a win7x64 ATI driver issue. Have your users ensure that they are running the most up to date driver (ATI and NVIDIA usually have much newer versions available than what slogs into windows update, so have them check directly). Specifically minib3d is opengl based and I believe ATI has had problems in the past with meshing nicely with OpenGL.

Can you get a directx dump? that should tell you their driver versions etc.
Do you have any win7x64 ati users that don't have the problem (to compare driver versions to confirm it's a driver version issue)?
The ones that can't get it to work, what (if any) error message do they get?
Is everyone using LCD screens, or does this happen on CRTs as well? (sometimes LCDs don't report their refresh properly and things can get weird)

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#3]
It's happened with the last 3 driver updates i think, the Catalyst 10.2 to 10.4 (most recent).

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#4]
More details... what kind of settings the users change so they can see something?

Do you know if they have enough VRAM to run the game?
Textures are power of 2?
Have you tried different initialization flags? (Ex: try removing GRAPHICS_ACCUMBUFFER from Graphics3D to see if it works)
Are you using the 'small fixes' version? There are several textures fixes on it...
If all else fails, you can try switching USE_VBO to false to see if that works.

Edit: just tried the demo, and the screen flickers nonstop here - on XP 32bits. Something is wrong in your code, because miniB3D works without any problem for me.

Edit2: running on windowed mode the flickers disappears, only happens on fullscreen. Then the game runs normally, loading textures and everything.

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#5]
They've all been 4xxx series cards, so not old or anything. I'll take a look at the small fixes version and see if i can get any results with it. I am keen not to remove anything that will stop it working on other systems though, eg Nvidia or Intel graphics based ones.

Cheers
Charlie

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#6]
@Slotman, what card have you got? there was a dodgy nvidia driver out in the summer that could cause flashing that flashing...

Cheers
Charlie

ima747(Posted 2010) [#7]
@slotman do you happen to have 2 cards? I have a problem with one user on mac with an nvidia and and ati card (3 heads total) where it dies going full screen when both cards are enabled, but works fine in a window... wondering if this might be related

impixi(Posted 2010) [#8]
No problems here: Win7 64bit, 1Gb ATI Radeon 5870, Catalyst 10.3

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#9]
My card is an ATI X1300, on a laptop. Single card on the system.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#10]
Appears to work flawlessly on my PC
Windows 7 Professional x64, Sapphire Radeon HD4670, Catalyst 9.10, 1920x1200 resolution, full screen.

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#11]
@xlsior: Ah, that's interesting. you the exact same card and OS as one of my users who is having difficulties. The only difference is that you've got a much older driver version.

Cheers
Charlie

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#12]
Bump!

There's new drivers out, any chance anyone could try this again. I still haven't got to the bottom of whats causing the issue!

Cheers
Charlie

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#13]
Sorry, can't help you there -- since I haven't had a need for newer drivers, I'm hesitant to install them ("if it ain't broken, don't fix it")

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#14]
No problem, i'm 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' kind of guy too!

Cheers
Charlie

Baystep Productions(Posted 2010) [#15]
I posted a thread about this.

Win7 32-bit
ATI Radeon HD 3850
Catalyst Drivers 10.7

Black screen.

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#16]
Does this game run for you then?

Cheers
Charlie

Baystep Productions(Posted 2010) [#17]
Oh sorry, forgot to clearify on that...

No.

Baystep Productions(Posted 2010) [#18]
Wait, that game works now. Administrator rights where changed.

But the samples that came with the MiniB3D don't work. Still just showing a blank screen.

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#19]
It may be that you are using a different version of Minib3d, or a different version of Blitzmax than that game was compiled in. This game was probably done with blitzmax 1.30

Cheers
Charlie