vertex colors in iminib3d?

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/vertex colors in iminib3d?

jhocking(Posted 2010) [#1]
My apologies for asking a question before I've even taken time to investigate it beforehand (planning to look into this tonight) but I'm wondering if iminib3d supports vertex colors.

I don't even remember if the b3d file format supports vertex colors, nevermind if minib3d supports them, but I have been thinking I might want to use vertex colors for lighting in my iphone game.

simonh(Posted 2010) [#2]
Yes it does. You will need to set the EntityFX flag to 2 first, plus 32 if you wish to use VertexAlpha.

jhocking(Posted 2010) [#3]
oh good! Now to lookup how to paint vertex colors in Maya.

man, it has been a long time since I cared about vertex colors

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#4]
(for non-believers only:)

Don't underestimate the power of some custom painted vertex coloring. It can really bring out the life in your low-poly enviroment.

Check the Iglu's entrance. Vertex-coloring was responsible for making the entrance have that smooth blackness:

Banjo-Kazooie

Vertex-Coloring can also be used to darken general parts of the environment and highlight the "important" parts, contributing to lead the player wherever you want (also making it much more visually interesting):

Rayman 2 - The Great Escape

Here's a test I was doing, using that "black door vertex-coloring" from the first picture:

The top-picture is from 3DS Max, the one below is from Blitz3D (mB3D would have the same result).