New Star Tennis

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/New Star Tennis

siread(Posted 2010) [#1]

Hi guys. I've put a thread in the ShowCase forum but I just wanted to alert you to my latest game made with BlitzMax and MiniB3D.

I'd appreciate your thoughts, particularly on the technical aspects...

PC Version
http://download.newstargames.com/Install_NST.exe

Intel Mac Version
http://download.newstargames.com/NST_Mac.zip

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#2]
Congrats on another game, and cool that you could sort out the animation problem!

Did you actually discovered what was wrong with loadanimseq, or the "workaround" I posted worked?

As for the game, the AI needs a *lot* of work. It couldn't hit a single ball I threw at it!

Also, a 'quick championship' mode would've been great, since I'm not very fond of "statistics and planning" part (but that's just me, nothing wrong with the game concept)

Another bug I found, once the "quick match" ended, my player went right out of the screen, running left and down. I tought it was him leaving the field, but as I saw the other player on the net waiting... I tried the cursor keys and the camera was moving...! So I manage to bring the player back on screen, to the net, and only then the game was over.

I also found hard to find the "quit" button after I played a quick match.

If it helps, I'm on Vista64, on a 2.17ghz dual core intel, nvidia 9300m gs

siread(Posted 2010) [#3]
I think the AI problem is something to do with flip not waiting for the VBlank. This causes the anims to run too fast and the COM player swings before the ball gets to him.

I found this happened when I set Vista to "Best Performance" as opposed to "Best Appearance" and played in Windowed mode. I guess Vista switches off the 'application controlled' setting on the GPU. Were you playing in a window?

I think I've fixed the player running off in the wrong direction. :)

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#4]
Nope, I played on fullscreen...

Playing a little more, I discovered it only happens on the "hard" court. On clay or grass the game does seems to play normally, and the AI can hit the ball.

Banshee(Posted 2010) [#5]
I suspect something is up with the animation timing. I had to press the button to hit the ball several seconds before the racket would animate, on a service I had to press just after the computer hit the ball, and on returns I needed to hit the shot button before the computer hit the ball to stand a chance of getting it. Likewise the computer rarely managed to return a shot regardless of court type.

My players ran around the pitch slowly, it was like in slow motion. The computer i'm on is quite low spec but should have been able to handle what you are throwing at it.

I like the sub games, the horse racing looks beautiful and the karting was quite fun once I figured out which key was accelerate. I didn't try the others.

Romanski(Posted 2010) [#6]
I also gave the game a try. And I really really like it! It has some sort of addiction-level to it. definitely. I like the way you mix these different games and disciplines together. but sadly the most important part of the game is too difficult as the others already mentioned. I rarely kept the match in flow as I couldn't hit the ball very often. you should put a bit more effort in that. the car-race(which is my favourite of the minigames) is a little bit too hard too. the other's are always too fast for me ;) btw i played the whole game with my gamepad and that gives the game a great feel.

so please keep up the good work und maybe you'll find the time to fix these things. then I see myself playing this game probably many hours.
roman

siread(Posted 2010) [#7]
I've fixed the anim timing issue. An amateur mistake! I've also improved the gameplay a lot and changed the controls, so it's much better.

This is the currently version...

PC
http://download.newstargames.com/Install_NST.exe

MAC
http://download.newstargames.com/NST_Mac.zip

Romanski(Posted 2010) [#8]
there are some major bugs in this release. my car is reversed 180 degrees at the startpoint and way too slow. the tennis is much better now. I also would like to see full gamepad-support someday..

jhocking(Posted 2010) [#9]
Love the graphics! It is way too much effort to actually get into a game though; there probably ought to be a big flashing button for "Practice Now"