MiniB3D - and Blitz3D tricks that I use

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/MiniB3D - and Blitz3D tricks that I use

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2009) [#1]
Howdy!

I've decided to move the racer over to MiniB3D. (I can do this now instead of waiting to buy a Max next year for the iPhone version.)

I do however use several tricks in Blitz3D that I don't know if MiniB3D can do-

1) I scale cameras instead of use camerazoom.
2) I have two cameras running at once. One main camera and one HUD camera.

The HUD camera is EntityOrdered to -1 so that it is rendered last. It is also set not to clear the colour buffer using CameraCLSmode. This camera contains a mirror and the speed dials so that the main camera can zoom in and out without affecting the hud.

I notice MiniB3D doesn't treat a camera as an entity (or, it doesn't look like it from the commandset, but I can always cause it to extend those types from a base type I guess!)

How would I do the above in anotherway if MiniB3D doesn't allow for it?

I recon it'll take a while before it's an issue, mainly since my b3D code is as superstrict as diarrhea from a very sick dogs behind- but I won't port if it's going to be a pain to perform the above.

*sigh* you can tell I've gotten sloppy, I wrote a 3D engine back when Max was initially released, no idea how I pulled that off now!

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#2]
Don't know about scaling cameras, but you can use max2d for your hud or have two cameras running at once.

Cheers
Charlie

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2009) [#3]
Heh, nah, the Hud is already in 3D, though Max2D will be used for the text for sure. :-)

I just checked and I no longer scale the camera, I removed that last night, but I still need to be able to render two cameras. I'm home now so I'll have a play :-D

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#4]
You can definately render 2 cameras, i do it in my current game.

Cheers
Charlie

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2009) [#5]
Cool- One on top of the other?

That assumes it works, problem is, I can't install MinGW on my machine- it likes to get closed by windows. so although I've grabbed MiniB3D I can't use the frickin' thing :/

Ah well.

There's a lot of missing functions but I really don't mind working on that once it's working.

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#6]
Yep, one on top of the other.

Best of luck getting MinGW to work.

There are a lot of missing functions, but i barely use 5% of what's there anyway.

Cheers
Charlie

*(Posted 2010) [#7]
Cygnus have you tried installing on something else and copying the C:\MingW directory to a key or something then whacking that onto your development PC then setting up the paths?