iMinib3d question :D

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/iMinib3d question :D

*(Posted 2009) [#1]
My question is simply if I create a game in iMinib3d for all the 3d stuff will it be rejected by Apple?

therevills(Posted 2009) [#2]
Why would it?

Isnt iMinib3d just Objective C code which your Objective C code calls makes it easier to write your game?

*(Posted 2009) [#3]
there have been some problems with Unity apps getting rejected due to calls just making sure that iminib3d doesnt have that problem :)

ima747(Posted 2009) [#4]
I'm unaware of any released apps using iminib3d so far (mine are all still in progress at the moment...) but I don't see any reason for apple to reject it since it's essentially just an OpenGL wrapper, it doesn't do anything dirty in the background, or take any hacky approaches to stuff, since it's cross platform it's gotta be pretty standards compliant to work everywhere...

I'm personally not worried about it :0)

*(Posted 2009) [#5]

*(Posted 2009) [#6]
Another question does iMinib3d release unused textures itself or is there a FreeTexture command to do that. I only ask as I was told on the Apple developer forum that there is about 24Mb available ram for your game app this includes everything so using loads of textures that remain there would cripple the application. If there is some sort of Garbage collection (something that isnt on the iPhone/iPod SDK) or a free texture command to get rid of unwanted stuff would be a godsend :).

I have had a cursory glance and cant locate one anywhere :s

ima747(Posted 2009) [#7]
Not by my computer with iPhone dev stuff, but I think Global.FreeTexture(). a lot of the global commands from minib3d are stored under "Global". Additionally when you free meshes and such that were loaded with textures the textures get freed. There was a bug related to this (check the forum here) but I believe it's been squished...

There's no hard number from apple on exactly how much memory you have available to play with but from my experience you have between 22-32mb depending on what else is going on on the device (how many mail accounts, how frequently they check, how many open browser windows in safari etc. the apple apps ARE allowed to run in the background unlike 3rd party so they can chew up a little bit of the resources.)

simonh(Posted 2009) [#8]
FreeTexture is in there, yes.

JaviCervera(Posted 2009) [#9]
If the C# implementation in Unity iPhone uses a virtual machine (Mono or whatever) that might be the reason why some applications were rejected. Scripting is not allowed on iPhone applications apart from the built-in JavaScript interpreter build into WebKit.

*(Posted 2009) [#10]
Ah thanks guys glad to see freetexture is in there, on the ram front I was told by apple that you have at max 24mb maximum sometimes as low as 7mb!

On another project I have managed to get ram requirements down from 80mb down to 4mb so it runs fine on the device. On thing big fullscreen animated backdrops are a no-no with imageviews as each one whacks 600k per frame the best way is to cut out the animated bits!