B3D Pipeline newbie question

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/B3D Pipeline newbie question

Tachyon(Posted 2009) [#1]
I've been diving into miniB3D for a few months, running all sorts of demos and learning the basics of 3D.

I know this topic is covered in detail all over these forums, but I am running into issues getting animated models into B3D. It seems in part that I don't fully understand the limitations of the numerous 3D formats. When I export from Studio Max into various formats, I usually lose the animation or the texture in the process.

So, if I have a boned, biped animated model in 3D Studio Max, what is the most direct way to get this into miniB3D? I was told "B3d Pipeline" was the answer, but I have 3DS 2009 64-bit, and this B3d Pipeline plug-in doesn't work; it looks like 3DSMax 9 (from 3 years ago) was the last version supported. I've tried a few other programs mentioned in other threads, but I'm not having any success.

Any advise? Perhaps I just need some better examples to follow? On a side note, I am amazed at how convoluted the art pipeline seems to be from model creation to import into a game. Why is this process so complicated?

plash(Posted 2009) [#2]
On a side note, I am amazed at how convoluted the art pipeline seems to be from model creation to import into a game. Why is this process so complicated?
MiniB3D (and even B3D for that matter) never was great on model formats, in my opinion.
I've always used Blender and the exporter for the B3D format, but even then I never used/made animated models, and I never did much with MiniB3D.

I guess I can't really say much about anything else other than I've never used 3DSMax or such (only free modelers such as Blender, Wings3D, etc.).

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#3]
Hmmm... I used to be able to import 3DS but I believe you had to updatenormals after... don't quote me though

Beaker(Posted 2009) [#4]
You don't describe what kind of animated models you want (skinned or segmented?).

I would recommend using Unwrap3d to get your models from Max to B3D format (definitely the best format). It has converters galore and even a plugin for Max.

You need to read the Max plugin readme.txt files carefully as it describes the limitations of what you can export from Max.

If the only problem you have is losing your texture, then this is probably easily fixed.

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#5]
I haven't tested it on miniB3D, but on B3D, the pipeline works. From the docs: "Export Bones - Export bones/vertex weights. Supports Skin, Max Bones and Biped (NOT Physique)"

My guess is you used Physique to animate the model? Also, moving vertex or scaling by "hand" (on Max) won't work.

Hamish(Posted 2009) [#6]
The B3D pipeline works, on Max 9, if you animate your models in a way it understands. But after using it for a while I noticed a few really annoying bugs would crop up, forcing me to restart max every time I wanted to export. I ended up learning maxscript and writing my own exporters using that.

Scienthsine(Posted 2009) [#7]
Kinda wondering this same thing recently...

I like Sketchup quite a bit, but the b3d exporter that 'Wayne' made seems dated and unsupported now. What does everyone here use anyway?