Latest Version - V0.53

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Latest Version - V0.53

simonh(Posted 2009) [#1]
Download from here.

Fixes the BlitzMax 1.33 crash bug and a memory leak with meshes involved in collisions/picking.

Digital Anime(Posted 2009) [#2]
Thanks a lot for fixing that this fast :-)

Downloading now.

ima747(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thanks simon! was just about to re-install blitz and minib3d on one of my computers glad I don't have to track down the 1.33 fix.

Any word on iminib3d updates?

Ked(Posted 2009) [#4]
Sweet!

Downloading now.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#5]
simon, the files are corrupted or something. I try to unzip them and it puts the folder on my desktop then tells me the folder already exists and gives me a retry or skip option. Then the 2 files inside have no extension.

Can you check it out please?

EDIT: I'm trying to DL it from minib3d.com first...i'll report back.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#6]
Yup..the zip is jacked. Missing files and the folders inside read 0 bytes.

Flemmonk(Posted 2009) [#7]
Tests OK, you might be having a caching issue or your ISP might use a transparent proxy which has the issue?

ima747(Posted 2009) [#8]
works fine for me as well. empty your cache, and or try downloading on a different connection. Or a different computer. Check your antivirus software, it might be intercepting it as well.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#9]
I tried it again and on my other comp. Still messed up. Can someone else host it please?

simonh(Posted 2009) [#10]
Yeah, seems it was corrupt when unzipping using Window's built-in unzip feature. Uploaded it again as V0.531.

CS_TBL(Posted 2009) [#11]
I never do anything with modules, and today is the first time I ever looked at mini3d. So right here I'm a complete n00b. I'm using BMax1.33 (XP-machine from my sig), intended to include mini3d rather than the module option.

Building minib3d.bmx gives this:

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#12]
Have you got minGW installed?

Cheers
Charlie

CS_TBL(Posted 2009) [#13]
As far as I know, yes..

C:\Program Files\MinGW

Note that I haven't ever succeeded in making my own modules, nor have I succeeded in getting some other module running.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#14]
CS_TBL: There's a little more to it than that -- you'll also need to set up several environment variables for it to work properly, and on Vista it (apparently) needs to reside on the same drive as Blitzmax itself.

some people have had problems if it was installed in a folder other than one straight off the root of the drive (e.g. c:\mingw works, c:\program files\mingw may not)

CS_TBL(Posted 2009) [#15]
Uninstalled MinGW, reinstalled it to c:\mingw

Right now it doesn't compile that minib3d file at all. What are these environment variables, how do I get there?

+ I somehow feel BMax should do all this, not the end user using a third party tool that's picky about where it's located.. :S Couldn't there be a menu item in Bmax where you give the path to Mingw, upon which it can sort out things itself?

Yasha(Posted 2009) [#16]
Right click on My Computer, and choose Properties. Open the Advanced tab. At the bottom is a button labelled Environment Variables.

In the System Variables box, hit New and enter MinGW in the name field and C:\MinGW in the variable field. OK this.

In the User Variables box, if there is a variable called Path, Edit it and add C:\MinGW\bin, separated from the previous entry with a semicolon. Otherwise, create one and name it Path, with the value C:\MinGW\bin.

That's all I had to do. 'Course I may be completely wrong; I know nothing about this.

CS_TBL(Posted 2009) [#17]
"I did as you told me, Tyrael"

..and got this:

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#18]
IIRC Vista has a few additional flags it needs that aren't necesary in XP for some reason. This is the environment variables that are set on my PC:

C_INCLUDE_PATH=C:\MinGW\include;C:\MinGW\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.5\include
GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=c:\MinGW
MinGW=c:\MinGW
PATH=<your other paths>;C:\MinGW

Plus if you set up system variables, I believe you'll need to reboot your PC before all applications will see them.

Ratchet(Posted 2010) [#19]
I just can compile the module with bmk in the shell. The IDE to not want to compile it. Also the rebuild of the documentation doas not work :(
I tried "docmods sidesign.minib3d" -> nothing.
What am I doing wrong?

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#20]
i don't think there are any docs with the latest version.

Cheers
Charlie

degac(Posted 2010) [#21]
sigh...just tried to run Minib3d on an AspireOne...I get a sad 'EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION'.

Tested with Windows7 (!)...I dont' know if there are some graphics driver's bugs (but every other BlitzMax samples seem to work properly).

Well, amen!

Tachyon(Posted 2010) [#22]
Version 0.53 is nearly a year old. Would love an official word on if an update is coming.

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#23]
why, is eschalon 3d on its way?

simonh(Posted 2010) [#24]
I do hope to release an update in the near future, although no work has started on an update yet.

Tachyon(Posted 2010) [#25]
why, is eschalon 3d on its way?

Book III will use the current 2D iso engine, but the new engine I am making will be 3D. Right now I am dabbling in MiniB3D and Gman's Irrlicht module as possible engines.

I do hope to release an update in the near future, although no work has started on an update yet.

Thank you. MiniB3D is possibly the most important 3D Module for BlitzMax due to it's lineage with Blitz3D and native integration, and I think many of us would love to see it mature further.

Midimaster(Posted 2010) [#26]
is there anybody outside, who is able to descripe me, how to run minib3d on a windows system?

I tried it on a dozend computers. Win XP32 SP3 or Win 7 64. But nowhere I can start it. I always get the error message "EXEPTION_ACESS_VIOLATION" when using the command RenderWorld().

On my MAC it runs perfect.

On my PC's MinGW is installed correct. Enviroment variables are correct. Other stuff can be buid correct. The BlitzMax Version is 1.39

Am I too stupid or is there a bug in the MINIB3D?

Irrlicht is running perfect, but I would prefer MINIB3D

Why is it possible, that all internal BlitzMAX modules are running perfect always (easy), even after an update, but simons MINIB3D need such a complicated procedure to start it? See the long list of frustated users and there attempts to get it started?

Oh, I am really frustated at the moment... I think i did experiemnts for 4 hours today and dozends of hours since the last three month. I tried all combinations of BlitzMax versions to MINIB3D version. But always with big problems.

this is my code:

SuperStrict
Import sidesign.minib3d
graphics3d 300,200,32,2
Global t:TMesh=CreateCube()
Global C:TCamera=CreateCamera()
Renderworld()
Flip
WaitKey()

degac(Posted 2010) [#27]
graphics3d 300,200,32,2

Is a supported resolution on your gfx card?
By the way a dozen of computer with the same 'error' is very strange.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#28]
By the way a dozen of computer with the same 'error' is very strange.

Not if they all happen to be the same make/model...

Difference(Posted 2010) [#29]
@degas and @MidiMaster: Have you tried the "smallfixes" version?
I'd be interested to hear if that works.

It's not a module, just import it and rem out the normal one.

http://code.google.com/p/blitzmax-assimp/downloads/list

Midimaster(Posted 2010) [#30]
what di i have to do to use them? there are three different zip files.

what to rem out?

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#31]

graphics3d 300,200,32,2

99% of todays computers don't support that resolution anymore. Some do support 320,240 - but not 300,200.

You have two options:

1 - you can remove the '32' and put a 0 on it's place, so it will start the game windowed.

2 - change it to a higher resolution, or at least, a supported one.

Difference(Posted 2010) [#32]
@Midimaster: You only use one of them.

Unzip the lastest version ( http://blitzmax-assimp.googlecode.com/files/minib3d0531-sf03.zip )

To try it instead of the sidesign.minib3d

rem out
'Import sidesign.minib3d

and use

Import "minib3dsf/minib3d.bmx" ' pointing to where you unzipped

Midimaster(Posted 2010) [#33]
@Slotman
The third parameter is not the mode, but the color depth. The 4th parameter=2 says "windowed mode"
This is not the problem

@Peter Scheutz

It works! Thank you! I am happy! It works....

But how is that possible? Is it an error in the current original minib3d or is is a problem of my os or hardware?

Difference(Posted 2010) [#34]
@Midimaster: Glad it worked.

The changes are listed here : http://code.google.com/p/blitzmax-assimp/source/browse/trunk/examples/minib3dsf/smallfixes.txt

"Small fixes" version is basically the official 0.53 version with some small changes added to make it more compatible with low end cards. I also try to add and accumulate updates posted in these forums.

*(Posted 2010) [#35]

99% of todays computers don't support that resolution anymore. Some do support 320,240 - but not 300,200.

Coming from the MS-DOS days there was never a 300x200 resolution it was always 320x200 (64k for the screen buffer) that started at B800 for colour and 0800 for monochrome. TBH todays computers dont normally go that low anymore its normally 640x480 minimum on HD2600 thats the minimum here.

Midimaster(Posted 2010) [#36]
In window mode you can (normaly) select any resolution you want! Could 300x200 really cause a problem in window mode? I think NO!

The problem appears also on 800x600 or 1024x768. It is NOT a problem of the resolution. It is a problem of some graphic cards.

If I want to sell my software, I should always keep in mind that the user could have any (cheap, old) graphic card.

I think a lot of Coders don't really know, how big the problems can be, if I sell software to lets say 2000 user with 2000 different hardware constellations. In fact (at the moment) it looks like the original MINIB3D can not handle with some older devices.

Thanks to Peter Scheutz for his fixes. With his code I can minimize problems on my hotline support.

@Peter Scheutz.
I found the link already in the readme of your ZIP. But it didn't say me much. But I guess, I don't have to know much more about the backgrounds? Important is, that it works.

I recognized in this list also, that you added a fix for a problem I reported some months ago: MINIB3D and KORIOLIS ZIPTREAM. You are really good! But shouldn't this all become part of the future version of original MINIB3D?

And there was a extended version from Klepto with Shadows. Did you ever try to combine this. I would like to have shadows!

I would like to have a stabile, extended and guaranteed future support version for MINIB3D. Do yo usee chances? How strong are you interested in this?

Where are you from? Your name sounds so "german"...

Andrew Mann(Posted 2010) [#37]
How Do I Install MiniB3D?
What IS Required For MiniB3D?

Dreamora(Posted 2010) [#38]
MingW configured (means that you could build modules as well) due to the C / C++ source files.

thats all thats required

Chroma(Posted 2011) [#39]
Is .53 the latest now?

simonh(Posted 2011) [#40]
Yes, although the small fixes version is recommended instead.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#41]
How do I install it on the demo of bmax? (I'll be purchasing Bmax this April)
Thanks,
Cpt. Wicker