Minib3d and Windows 7

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Minib3d and Windows 7

*(Posted 2009) [#1]
Does Minib3d work with Windows 7?

Jason W.(Posted 2009) [#2]
I was able to get it to work on a x86 pc using Windows 7 Beta. I did not do much with it, but all the examples worked fine as well as a few things I programmed.

I did get BMax and MaxGUI installed on my new PC (i7 using Windows 7 64bit RC). Even build all modules worked correctly.

I can test to see if Mini3d will work with my build because I planned on installing the mod tonight.

Is there anything you would like for me to test?

Jason

*(Posted 2009) [#3]
well running all the minib3d examples stop on Renderworld here.

Jason W.(Posted 2009) [#4]
I'm still at work, but I'll check the examples again when I get home.

Jason

Jason W.(Posted 2009) [#5]
Everything I tested worked fine once I applied the bugfix that Uncle posted: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=83935 (Thanks Uncle...this was driving me crazy until I found your post)

No Renderworld issues in Windows 7.

My setup if it helps:

i7 cpu
ati 4890
Windows 7 RC x64 bit

I applied the fix to the 'sidesign.mod', so you need to replace any 'Import "minib3d.bmx"' calls with 'Import sidesign.minib3d' (do not include the ').

Jason

*(Posted 2009) [#6]
my setup is:
AMD Athlon 64 3400
ATI 2600 (AGP)
Windows 7 RC 32bit

done the sidesign things and the TModel.bmx fix but still dies on Renderworld

Jason W.(Posted 2009) [#7]
Maybe something happed during the install.

Try these steps that I just performed on my new win 7 install:

1. Back up your work.
2. Uninstall bmax and deleted any left over folders (please back up your work because I want to play Elite Multiplayer).
3. Install the latest version of Bmax (1.33).
4. Open Explorer, go to your bmax folder, right-click on the bmax folder and select properties, go to the security tab and click the Advanced button, and click on the Owner tab and change the ownership to your user-id.
5. Right-click again on the bmax folder, and remove the read-only setting. Make sure you apply this to the sub-folders and files.
6. Install the latest version of MinGW (make sure you run the installer in admin mode): http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=72892#814825 <--follow mark's instructions
6. See my post below on installing MinGW.
7. Install any modules (MaxGUI, miniB3d, etc) to the mod folder. Apply the minib3d fix that Uncle posted.
8. Open BMAX and do a build all modules.

If everything compiles without an error, then you should be ready to test miniB3d examples.

Good luck!

Jason

Jason W.(Posted 2009) [#8]
Instead of follow mark's post exactly on installing MinGW, use the latest version, run the installer in admin mode, and exclude the Vista user option:

----------------------------------------
Mingw is the collection of C/C++ compilers and tools used to build BlitzMax on Windows.

You only need to install Mingw if you plan to rebuild Blitz Research or third party modules. BlitzMax can be used 'as is' to create applications without having to install Mingw.

As of v1.26 v1.33, BlitzMax uses Mingw v5-1-3 v5-1-4. The Mingw auto installer is available here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=2435&use_mirror=jaist&filename=MinGW-5.1.3.exe&2597933
http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=2435&filename=MinGW-5.1.4.exe&a=148157

Make sure you run the installer in ADMIN mode

Select 'current' when asked which package to install.

Select 'MinGW base tools' and 'g++ compiler' when asked which components to install.

Vista users: Once installed, you will need to copy the contents of the MinGW\libexec\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2 directory into MinGW\bin.

Finally, make sure to add C:\MinGW\bin (or equivalent) to your system PATH environment variable. This can be done on most versions of windows by right-clicking 'My Computer' and selecting Properties/Advanced/Environment Variables.

You will also need to add a new environment variable, MINGW , setting it to C:\MinGW (or equivalent).

Bye!
Mark Sibly,
Blitz Research Ltd
----------------------------------

Jason

*(Posted 2009) [#9]
Ok, ive reinstalled everything even the video drivers and nothing minib3d will work the demos coming with BlitzMax work fine (but they could be using the DX drivers so I will have to look at that)

I can compile modules and everything just every minib3d app stops DEAD on renderworld :(

Anyone have any ideas?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#10]
Update vid drivers?
I had similar issues on win7 and my crap intel card, and after going to the intel site and getting the latest drivers for win7 there, everything worked like a charm and now I'm having a great time playing with minib3d on my laptop. (except I can't get any 3D sound :( )

*(Posted 2009) [#11]
Updated the drivers to the latest ones on www.ati.com that are for 32bit Windows7 but still no go it still crashes on the second pass of Renderworld.

Would be brilliant if I could run anything minib3d related :s

Warner(Posted 2009) [#12]
On my XP laptop, minib3d also crashed on RenderWorld. If you open TGlobal.bmx and TMesh.bmx in the IDE, it will show at which line it crashes. At least, in debug mode, didn't try release.
I disabled VBO's (in minib3d.bmx USE_VBO=false). It then crashed on these lines in TMesh.bmx:
					glBindBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB,0) ' reset - necessary for when non-vbo surf follows vbo surf
					glBindBufferARB(GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB,0)

I changed it into this:
If USE_VBO Then
  glBindBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB,0) ' reset - necessary for when non-vbo surf follows vbo surf
  glBindBufferARB(GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB,0)
End If

And now it seems to run okay. Not sure if you have the same issue, since your program crashes on the second pass, but still it might be worth giving it a try.

*(Posted 2009) [#13]
Still crashes maybe its something to do with my SapphireTech ATI 2600 graphics card, its recognised by ATI drivers in Windows7 bit not in XP/Vista for those OS's I have to use sapphiretech drivers (those also dont do OpenGL in Windows7 either :( )

Warner(Posted 2009) [#14]
Then BMax shouldn't do other GL stuff as well. That can be tested. Have you tried running a minib3d example with it source files open in the IDE? When it crashes, the line it crashes on is shown in the IDE. You said it is RenderWorld, but if you have TGlobal.bmx open, it shows which line it crashes on inside RenderWorld. If that line is mesh.Update, open TMesh.bmx as well and try again. That way you can pretty precisely track which line causes the error. For me, it were the ~ARB lines above.

*(Posted 2009) [#15]
It crashes at random points here its not just the ARB lines :(.

Warner(Posted 2009) [#16]
I'm very curious what it could be. Does other GL stuff work?
Such as this: (2D)

And this: (3D)

*(Posted 2009) [#17]
nope nothing GL works :(, it seems Windows7 doesnt like my sapphiretech HD2600 :(.

It runs perfectly with my ATI Radeon 9600 Pro :s

Warner(Posted 2009) [#18]
:( That's bad. I believe that OpenGL should be supported. Maybe it will be better when W7 is officially released.

*(Posted 2009) [#19]
I hope so otherwise I will stick with XP/Linux