Quesions on iminib3d...

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Quesions on iminib3d...

Happy Sammy(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi all,

I wrote an email to simonh using si@...
Maybe the email was filtered out.

For those testing or using iminib3d, could you info me more about iminib3d? (eg. license, price, release date)
Also, after buying a iphone, what other charge do I need to pay for using iminib3d?

Thanks in advance

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#2]
Pretty sure you need an Intel Mac, which you probably know but haven't mentioned. You'll also need the Iphone SDK, which i think you used to have to pay for...

Cheers
Charlie

Happy Sammy(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thank you, jkrankie.

Is the iphone SDK monthly charged? How much is it?

How about the license, price, release date of iminib3d?

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#4]
You'd have to look on Apple's developer site for that.

I don't know about iminib3d.

Cheers
Charlie

ima747(Posted 2009) [#5]
Minimally you need an intel mac. The iphone SDK is free. However to actually test and distribute you have to join the iphone developer program which is $99 a year and allows you to test on hardware instead of just the simulator that comes with the SDK, and also enables you to distribute applications through the app store.

Currently, iminib3d is in beta, so you can't use it for distribution even if you get a copy from simon, and I have not heard any estimated release dates despite badgering simon myself so we just have to wait. He mentioned there will probably be a fee for iminib3d but has not publicly mentioned a price or what the terms might be.

From working with the beta in my experience it's got a couple engine bugs (why it's a beta...) but besides that it's as close minib3d in blitz as is possible given it's on a different architecture and a different language. After sorting out where the current bugs were I managed to port code directly from bmax with minib3d into C++ in the iphone SDK and run it on a device in almost no time. The biggest change is everything has to be done through objects, there are no base functions so if you've been coding in bmax the old fashioned way as I was you need to move over to objects and then it's almost as simple as adding semicolons.

An example would be:
MoveEntity(myShape, 0, 0, 3)

needs to be written through the object as:
myShape.MoveEntity(0, 0, 3)

then to take that to iminib3d:
myShape->MoveEntity(0, 0, 3);

Hope that helps

P.S. if simon finds this thread. Any updates/etas/etc. to report? Can't wait to get back to work on my iminib3d projects for some more testing :0)

simonh(Posted 2009) [#6]
Happy Sammy - yes I got your email, will reply soon.

I've been reluctant to release any new builds of iminib3d while OS 3.0 was covered by an confidentiality agreement, as I had the 3.0 SDK installed. That's over now though, so I'll release something soon.

I've been trying iminib3d with the 3GS today - the performance bump is impressive, around x2 - you can easily achieve a smooth 60fps now with apps that were struggling to get 30fps on the 3G.

Supporting OpenGL ES 2.0 will mean rewriting substantial parts though, as everything has to be done via shaders.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2009) [#7]
@ima747: Thank you for your tips. It seems the conversion is very straightforward.

@simonh: Looking forward to your email.
the performance bump is impressive, around x2.
Excellent!

Happy Sammy(Posted 2009) [#8]
How is the progress?
:D

JaviCervera(Posted 2009) [#9]
@simonh: Will you make the licensing cost of iMiniB3D publicly available anytime soon?

simonh(Posted 2009) [#10]
I'll release something this weekend, promise!

JaviCervera(Posted 2009) [#11]
Thank you. I was just curious, I am currently using a custom-made 3D engine at my company for all 3D development on the iPhone.

Panno(Posted 2009) [#12]
Cool !

ima747(Posted 2009) [#13]
Can't wait!

Sledge(Posted 2009) [#14]
Yeah, looking forward to the next update!