Object light Tail

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Object light Tail

ima747(Posted 2009) [#1]
Anyone have any thoughts on how to create a light tail effect for a moving entity. Like a car tail light leaving a streak of red following it. It would be great if it was like a snake and stuck to the path followed by the object, but it would work if it was just sort of hanging off the back. The only idea I've come up with so far is to nest some objects inside each other with their alpha set to say 0.2 and entityfx set for fullbright but I don't like the look so far. Any thoughts?

daaan(Posted 2009) [#2]
Particles? Or you could make your own mesh of triangles and deform them as necessary.

ima747(Posted 2009) [#3]
I'm liking the deformed mesh idea most at the moment.

How does mesh deformation affect performance? is 1 tail going to kill the frame rate or would you expect (assuming your update logic is fairly simple) it to take a big hit?

What about a softened edge? a glow effect. any thoughts for doing something like that in minib3d without going to extended and involving some lower level stuff?

daaan(Posted 2009) [#4]
It shouldn't affect performance nearly as much as updating particles for each trail desired.

As for the softened edge I recommend a gradient texture. Nothing fancy.

What I've done in the past was made a mesh out of three linearly connected quads. Then adjust their dimensions as necessary.