Visual issues with a b3d file

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Visual issues with a b3d file

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#1]
I'm seing lots of artifacts and error while displaying this b3d file with minib3d. The file looks ok on the editor, but there's something wrong, like some surfaces overlaping and showing wrong lighting or something. I'm posting the b3d file. It is a very small interior building.
I'm curious to know what's wrong with the file, or if there's any problem with minib3d.
any info/help would be much apreciated.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#2]
Get the file here: http://www.blide.org/posts/cast1.rar

simonh(Posted 2008) [#3]
It looks ok here in MiniB3D. I loaded it in to Unwrap and after spending 5 minutes loading it, that program showed some shearing on the exterior. Maybe a screenshot would help to show the visual issues you're seeing?

Seems to be quite a poorly constructed model - the model has 411 children. Virtually every polygon is a mesh in its own right - this obviously needs to be corrected. Having so many children is unnecessary, and causes a lot of slowdown if you load it use LoadAnimMesh rather than LoadMesh.

Also, the model is too large by default, requiring a huge camera range to avoid clipping issues.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#4]
I've done it using the Leadwers 3d world studio, not sure what this poligon is a mesh exactly means, I'm a complete novice on 3D programing!Can this be solved easily?

i have loaded the model in my non-intel card computer, and the model displays properly, so I supose it is a intel issue. Anyway, I'm interested on how to solve what you were saying about childrens and the like. Is that the model is done like a bunch of boxes or something instead of being a single mesh? That's how the leadwers program exports b3d files, I wonder if I can fix this easily sommehow?

Thanks

simonh(Posted 2008) [#5]
I'm using an Intel graphics card. Make sure you have the latest driver installed.

I mean, the model contains hundreds of child models, each one containing only a few polygons. When you load it as an anim mesh (using LoadAnimMesh), each child model is treated as an individual entity, and has to be view-culled, etc.

It's not such a problem if you use LoadMesh instead of LoadAnimMesh as the model will be collapsed, and all the child models will be merged into one.

Generally though it's not good practice to have so many children in a model, especially for such a simple building. In 3D World Studio there's probably an option for merging or grouping meshes together.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#6]
simonh, thanks for your help!
I also have Ultimate unwrap 3d, exporting as a single mesh would improve things?