Stream video to texture/update texture

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Stream video to texture/update texture

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#1]
I want to build a small game in 3D over network, sort of shuffle puck/pong like game where you push the ball/puck back to the other side of the gamefield where you can see your opponent by making use of a webcam.

The game itself won't be much of a problem and I'll be using the Escapi.dll for the webcam and UDP as connection. I'm using MiniB3D 0.51 at this moment.

The only thing I don't know is how to update a texture using a pixmap or plain data without making it too slow or using tons of videomem.
A small example would be nice.
the webcam image received will be 320x240 or 640x480 depending on the speed.

The reason behind this is all to make internet games a bit more personal. You can see your friends on the other side of the world while playing a game against them in fullscreen.

klepto2(Posted 2008) [#2]
Function UploadPixtoImg(tex:TTexture,Pixmap:TPixmap)
	Local mip_level:Int = 0

If tex <> Null Then
			If Pixmap.width <> tex.width Or Pixmap.height <> Pixmap.height Then
			ResizePixmap(Pixmap , tex.width , tex.height) 
			End If
			glBindtexture GL_TEXTURE_2D,tex.gltex[0]
			glPixelStorei GL_UNPACK_ROW_LENGTH,pixmap.pitch/BytesPerPixel[pixmap.format]
			glTexSubImage2D GL_TEXTURE_2D,mip_level,0,0,pixmap.width,pixmap.height,GL_BGRA,GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,pixmap.pixels
			glPixelStorei GL_UNPACK_ROW_LENGTH,0
			glBindtexture GL_TEXTURE_2D , 0
		EndIf
End Function

This function should help you. It is not tested but it should work. Maybe you have to call ClearTextureFilters() at the start. But i think it should work from the beginning.
Also you should create textures with the same size as the received pixmaps to avoid pixmap resizing.

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll give it a go as soon as I get home from work.

Didn't thought it could be this simple, too bad I'm not too familiar with the gl commands yet.

I'll give a reply after I tested it :-)

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#4]
Thanks a lot Klepto.

I had some troubles getting it to work at start and then I did find the following topic.

http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=71915#803971

The example from you with the pantson mpeg mod in minib3d helped me a lot and I got it working now.