TMesh != TEntity

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/TMesh != TEntity

Banshee(Posted 2008) [#1]
I'm curious, i'm using camerapick to retrieve a selected entity which it does fine, and it returns TEntity.

I then scan through an array of meshes created with the createMesh() command, so these are of type TMesh.

I want to compare the two values to match, TMesh extends TEntity, and it does work and all is well - unless I turn on strict compilation.

I type like a drunken lout and make more mistakes than Lewis Hamilton in the last 2 races of a season, so I really would preffer to keep strict on.

Is there a way around this at all please?

TomToad(Posted 2008) [#2]
Not sure, but wouldn't this work?

If TMesh(CameraPick(X,Y)) = MyCreatedMesh Then DoSomething()

Edit: I take that back. Just did some testing and found it doesn't work. Although, I still think it's just a matter of casting the types in the right way.

Edit2: Actually, it does work! I just forgot to turn on picking for the mesh. Here is a short piece of sample code.
SuperStrict

Import sidesign.minib3d

Graphics3D 800,600

Local MyMesh:TMesh = CreateMesh()
Local MySurface:TSurface = CreateSurface(MyMesh)

Local Vertex1:Int = AddVertex(MySurface,-1,1,0)
Local Vertex2:Int = AddVertex(MySurface,1,1,0)
Local Vertex3:Int = AddVertex(MySurface,-1,-1,0)
Local Vertex4:Int = AddVertex(MySurface,1,-1,0)

AddTriangle(MySurface,Vertex1,Vertex2,Vertex3)
AddTriangle(MySurface,Vertex2,Vertex4,vertex3)
EntityPickMode MyMesh,2

Local Camera:TCamera = CreateCamera()
PositionEntity Camera,0,0,-3

While Not KeyHit(KEY_ESCAPE) And Not AppTerminate()
	Local PE:TEntity = CameraPick(Camera,MouseX(),MouseY())
	If TMesh(PE) = MyMesh
		TurnEntity camera,0,0,-.1
		Print "Hit!"
	End If

RenderWorld
	Flip
Wend

Banshee(Posted 2008) [#3]
Blitz has casting ?! sweet, I never knew. Thank you so much. Mind you it took me over a year to find out it had constructors and destructors !

I turned strict back on, fixed a typo I had not spotted, and for some reason it's not complaining about the TMesh/TEntity conflict any more even though I haven't fixed it yet lolz, oh well, if it complains again I know what to do.

Thank you very much.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#4]