Look around using mouse like in most PC FPS games

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Look around using mouse like in most PC FPS games

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#1]
Gfx provided me with some very helpful MouseXSpeed and MouseYSpeed substitutes, but I cannot figure out why the following code refuses to budge the camera when I move the mouse:

TurnEntity camera,-mouse.YSpeed()*0.9,mouse.XSpeed()*0.9,mouse.XSpeed()/10.000

Could I please get some help?

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#2]
Just a guess, but try:
TurnEntity camera,-Float(mouse.YSpeed())*0.9,Float(mouse.XSpeed())*0.9,Float(mouse.XSpeed())/10.000

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#3]
No, that's not the issue.

For some reason, when I'm calling the function for drawing text, everything goes smoothly ( text 50,50,"MouseYSpeed: "+mouse.YSpeed();text 50,60,"MouseXSpeed: "+mouse.XSpeed() ) but when I assign it to a variable or do anything other than text for that matter, it usually returns 0 but occasionaly returns *something* just to throw me off.

Main program (revised to use RotateEntity rather than TurnEntity because TurnEntity doesn't seem to support roll whereas RotateEntity does)

TMouse.bmx (thanks to Gfx):
Global mouse:tMouse = New tMouse

Type tMouse
	Field lastX:Int
	Field lastY:Int
	Method XSpeed:Int()
		Return MouseX() - lastX
	End Method
	Method YSpeed:Int()
		Return MouseY() - lastY
	End Method
	Method update()
		lastx = MouseX()
		lasty = MouseY()
	End Method
End Type

And TPlayer.bmx:

impixi(Posted 2008) [#4]
I'd probably encapsulate the mouselook capability within the mouse class itself, to make things a little tidier.

Your code structure is somewhat unkind to my way of thinking, so I can't help you directly, but here's a simple example that hopefully will help:

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#5]
Your code was a bit.. jumpy.. for me, but this code works wonderfully:

Can't remeber where I found it XD I thought I copied your code but apparently this remained on the clipboard. Thanks all for the help.

LT(Posted 2008) [#6]
I have unfortunately learned that making mouse move code that works well on a lot of different computers is tough in OpenGL. The results with the various drivers are pretty inconsistent. At least, that has been my experience. :(

impixi(Posted 2008) [#7]
I have unfortunately learned that making mouse move code that works well on a lot of different computers is tough in OpenGL.

I have also noticed this. I've yet to find an acceptable solution in Mac OS 10.5. It is annoying the hell out of me...

impixi(Posted 2008) [#8]
Here's a partial framework that functions reasonably well on MacOS 10.5, but still isn't entirely smooth:

EDIT: Removed code. Works crap on Windows... Back to the drawing board...