Shadows and bump maps in minib3d (not extended)?

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Shadows and bump maps in minib3d (not extended)?

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi there
How can I use shadows and bump maps in minib3d 0.51?

I would use klepto's extended version but that one doesn't have cameraprojmode and that's a feature I really need.

Would it work if I'd copy TCamera from 0.51 into klepto's version and the cameraproj mode as well?

klepto2(Posted 2008) [#2]
I know I haven't posted any news about the new minib3d extended Version. But maybe its time to reveal some things
that came up the last couple of weeks.

first to answer you're question:
In general it should be possible to just copy the Camera Type from minib3d 0.51. But this may result in some shaderbugs.

Now a few words to the extended Version.
As some of you may know, minib3d extended 2 is frozen because of the lack of time. But I have started a new extended Version from scratch with
0.51 as a base. Hopefully I can establish an early beta, maybe alpha during the next 2-3 weeks.

Things that are implemnted currently:
loaders: b3d,3ds,obj,md2,md3 (with animation and multibody support)
and quake3 bsp maps (main level generation is done, just working on the bezier patches, full availabilllity of entities and their states, already some shader support)

GLSL: New Material Type which is extendable and very flexible. eg:
Local Bump:TSimpleBumpMap = New TSimpleBumpMap
Bump = Bump.CreateSimpleBumpMap()
Bump.SetColorMap(LoadTexture("scene/plate.jpg")) 
Bump.SetNormalMap(LoadTexture("scene/platedot3.png") ) 
Bump.SetTextureScale(0.05)
Bump.SetLightRange(1000)
Bump.setLight(Light)

AttachMaterial(mesh,bump)

code for a simple Bumpmap Material

Physics : based on Newton2.0 currently very stable. And a complete rewrite from the previous version
Terrain : not yet implemented, but I will add the terrain from the latest extended 2 Version which could render up to 33Mio Tris
TextureBuffers : Realised through FBOs but with a Fallback to support lower level gfx cards
Shadows : Much faster than previous Version espacially in case of animated characters, also Shadowmapping is a thing i'm working on

Well, as said I hope to get an early beta version up in the next 2 or 3 weeks, don't shoot me if it will be 4 ;)

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#3]
Well thank you for the informations.
I actually managed to copy some stuff I needed from 0.51 into your last version such as cameraproj mode and beginmax2d/endmax2d :)
Works fine.
I always liked your version more but since you stopped working I went further with simoh's.

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#4]
well sometimes I get an error at line 2219 on Tmesh.bmx while running. And sometimes if I move abject i see some minor flickering

LT(Posted 2008) [#5]
@klepto: Not that I'm complaining (because I'd love to get an update), but why did you decide to go back to this? I thought you were working on an entirely new engine of your own...

klepto2(Posted 2008) [#6]
Then you've misunderstood something. I wasn't going to write a complete new Engine.
minib3d ext 2 was more or less a cleaned up and interfaced Version of minib3d with the goal to provide OpenGL and DirectX drivers.
Unfortunatly I'm now DX expert and the one who was programming the DX part is currently to busy. Also I'm to busy to maintain
the interface Version. So I've decided to let it rest and keep it the old way.

matty47(Posted 2008) [#7]
@klepto - news that you will release an updated version of your mod is GREAT! Looking forward to using it. I hope it will be cross platform like the previous version. That is one of its great attractons. Would not worry too much about timing (However soon would be good) - Note in December last year I paid for a release version of another - atomic? ; ) - programming language that was due for imminent release and have not yet received anything. Afraid that it's just vaporware : (

Sanctus(Posted 2008) [#8]
could you post some screenshots? :D I like to be teased atough I am going to write own engine after I finish the current project.
As a side note. Damn blitzmax is really worth every single penny :). I payed around 100$ for it and got more than 2000$ out of it :D

Abrexxes(Posted 2008) [#9]
pic + older demo(win32)running on X3100 (intel)

http://www.blitzforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28903