CameraClsMode() behaving differently fullscreen

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/CameraClsMode() behaving differently fullscreen

Sledge(Posted 2008) [#1]
There is quite a nice 'free' blurry-trails effect that you can get in B3D by having a semi-transparent background object and fiddling with CameraClsMode(). I was quite chuffed to see that MiniB3D behaves in the same way, only it doesn't if you go from windowed mode to fullscreen (instead there's just a dark background with no after-image).

I'm aware that this might not technically be a bug as OGL and DirectX may simply operate differently (or the effect may be driver-dependant). But as the idea with MiniB3D is to clone B3Ds functionality I thought I'd mention it. Example below:

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#2]
You can never count on the backbuffer remaining in place after a flip...

On some video cards the screen will be automatically cleared, and on others you may either see the previous frame, or whatever was on the screen 2, 3, or 4 frames ago. (Which leads to horrible flickering and jumping around.

Different video card drivers treat the backbuffers differently, and may recycle anywhere from 0 to 4 or more of them. As you found out, even full-screen and windowed don't behave the same on all computers...

bottom line: Don't count on the backbuffer showing the previous frame, ever. Many, many computers will return unpredictable results.

Sledge(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thought it might be that -- I did think that the whole point of CameraClsMode() was to provide a measure of control, though. :/ Oh well.