Is MiniB3D 'ready'?

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Is MiniB3D 'ready'?

GfK(Posted 2008) [#1]
I'm getting to the stage where I want to add some more stuff to Magicville that doesn't relate to the match three stuff. Sorry for being a bit cagey but obviously I want to keep a few things about it to myself for now.

Anyway, I'm thinking that I might be able to get away with using some degree of 3D which might require Max2D stuff either in front of, or behind it.

Is this possible, and are there any issues that should give me cause to forget this idea and stick with 2D? Given that the game is going to be released to the public I don't want a tech support headache to come along later.

(Windows only, BTW).

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#2]
have you seen super star soccer 3?
that has been using minib3d for a while now,
there are clips on youtube

GfK(Posted 2008) [#3]
Well, seeing a youtube video doesn't really answer the question. The 'black screen bug', for instance. Am I going to get 1 in 10 customers complaining of that?

anawiki(Posted 2008) [#4]
You never know until you try :D

The problem is that it is OpenGL only at the moment, but because there's no other solution like MiniB3D we did use it for Pony World. Hopefully, compatibility will not be an issue.

cheers
Roman

LT(Posted 2008) [#5]
The 'black screen' issue was a result of incompatibility with VBOs. I'm one that complained about it, but now it's working for me, since I just turned that off.

I am probably not going to do anything "real" until an official Blitz Research 3d engine is available, but I'm sure it's possible.

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#6]
How are the collisions now? are they faster? Its been over a year since i looked at minib3d because i got sidetracked with some irrlicht & c++ experiments.

It was certainly looking good enough when i looked a year ago for low collision requirements.

simonh(Posted 2008) [#7]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=77558

nrasool(Posted 2008) [#8]
Well Si, I know has ported his Super Gerbil game to Mac, see http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=78140

When testing MiniB3d, I haven't see any issues of it so far, but others might.

@GfK, isn't that a small prototype you could develop, and pass around, just to test the waters, to see if there is any big issues? That may help

GfK(Posted 2008) [#9]
Well, if I did a prototype and passed it around, I'd be passing it around here. Given that a lot of people are using MiniB3D anyway I figured I'd save myself the trouble.

Another thing that's worrying me now - what will become of MiniB3D when Max3D appears?

simonh(Posted 2008) [#10]
It will still be supported.

anawiki(Posted 2008) [#11]
So it looks like miniB3D is ready. Pony World Deluxe is created with miniB3d v0.3 (I didn't have time to update it to the latest version) and it is currently #8 in iWin's TOP 10 list (to be released on other portals).

Thaks Si. for a great mod.

cheers
Roman

simonh(Posted 2008) [#12]
0.3? Blimey, you're brave. Still, it looks like it's paid off - well done.

anawiki(Posted 2008) [#13]
Well, I tried to use v0.51, but once I made it compile and run it almost worked with old "begin / end max2d" code, but 3d objects were all black. Then when I converted the code to use new max2d code it totaly broke. I am still planning to upgrade, but don't have the time for it at the moment.

And it's #5 today :)

Jazz(Posted 2008) [#14]
Congrats!