'Black screen' bug

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/'Black screen' bug

simonh(Posted 2008) [#1]
I got an email from someone saying that MiniB3D doesn't render anything on their computer - only the background colour is displayed.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so what is your graphics card?

Warner(Posted 2008) [#2]
No, but is that with Max2D enabled ?

simonh(Posted 2008) [#3]
It's the same whether the USE_MAX2D, USE_VBO consts are set to true or false.

Thareh(Posted 2008) [#4]
I have that very same problem!
I'm using Vista ultimate 32bit with a Geforce 8800 GT latest drivers.

Thareh(Posted 2008) [#5]
Oh, Tried the newest version of MiniB3D now, and seems to work fine now :O
I used 0.5 before, and 0.51 seems to work fine ^^

Thareh(Posted 2008) [#6]
Btw, the default Rate in the Graphics3D command is 50 instead of 60 now? ^^

simonh(Posted 2008) [#7]
No, it's 60. What makes you think it's 50?

Thareh(Posted 2008) [#8]
Because the framerate is capped to 50 frames, instead of 60 when leaving the parameter blank ^^

LT(Posted 2008) [#9]
Looks like I'm having this problem, too. Anyone know why?

simonh(Posted 2008) [#10]
Because the framerate is capped to 50 frames, instead of 60 when leaving the parameter blank ^^

No the default is 60, you can check this in TGlobal.bmx

simonh(Posted 2008) [#11]
Can anyone who is experiencing the black screen problem (only two people as far as I know) please try these modified TMesh.bmx files:

http://www.si-design.co.uk/TMesh.zip

You just need to copy them into your MiniB3D 'inc' folder, and then in minib3d.bmx, just change Include "TMesh.bmx" to Include "TMesh2.bmx", and so on.

LT(Posted 2008) [#12]
Okay, so TMesh2 seems to have fixed the problem for me!! (so I didn't bother to try TMesh3, etc.) What was the change?

However, I'm still a little confused. When I try to compile the examples as is, I get the error "Module does not match commandline module." I looked that up and found some posts about case sensitivity, but that doesn't seem to be the issue because everything is lower case, as far as I can tell. The only way I can get MiniB3D to compile is to use BMK from the command prompt and change the include line in the examples. That's okay with me - I was doing it that way before with Klepto's extensions. It would be nice to resolve (or at least understand) that, though.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

simonh(Posted 2008) [#13]
I removed all the VBO stuff in TMesh2.bmx. Sounds like VBOs were being reported as working on your system, but then were failing.

Can you try one more thing for me - go back to using TMesh.bmx, and in MiniB3D.bmx, change 'USE_VBO' to False. This should have the same effect as using TMesh2.bmx

As for your other issue, sounds like you may have mixed up the non-module/module versions at some point. Download again and don't bother adding the 'sidesign.mod' version to the BlitzMax mods folder (delete any previous versions) - instead just use the main folder and all the examples should work fine with the Import statement.

Thareh(Posted 2008) [#14]
I had the 'Black screen' bug this morning, and I figured out what's causing it on my computer. It's vistas Desktop Composition thing.
I compiled a MiniB3D example and rightclicked the .exe, went into properties and checked the 'Disable Desktop Composition' and then the .exe worked fine.

Desktop Composition is the transparency on your windows, the Aero blur effect thing. You can disable it permanently in Control Panel => Apperence and Personalization => Customize Colors.

Hope this helps ^^

monotonic(Posted 2008) [#15]
Whenever I run the any of the examples I get the text in the top left corner with the FPS and instructions but, no 3D is rendered.

For instance the first animation example displays the FPS and the rest ut nothing else, it's just a black background. I have tried all of the replacement TMesh.bmx files but none work.

simonh(Posted 2008) [#16]
Can you try this old version and see if it works monotonic?

http://www.si-design.co.uk/MiniB3D-v042.zip

monotonic(Posted 2008) [#17]
Hi Simon,

Yeah, that works like a dream. Just incase this helps in anyway, I have posted my computer specifications.

Cheers Simon.

Vista Home Premium (32bit)
ATI Radeon XPress 1150 319 Mb
1Gb RAM

LT(Posted 2008) [#18]
Thanks, Simon. Changing 'Use_VBO' to false worked for me.

simonh(Posted 2008) [#19]
OK monotonic, it seems the reason that MiniB3D isn't working for you is that in TMesh.Update, the surface lists are being converted to arrays before being iterated through.

I find this very odd indeed, as this is a BlitzMax thing rather than a 3D card issue - do you have a modified version of BlitzMax at all, and do you have the latest version?