incbin::b3d files

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/incbin::b3d files

Black3D(Posted 2008) [#1]
I found through search that Klepto was adding incbin support for .b3d files (which I suppose, would include textures, etc, somehow). However, it seems that the old version of Kleptos extended minib3d is discontinued awaiting a future release. I'd prefer not to use it (the old version) for my new project, but am desperately seeking b3d incbin support.

So <takes a breath>
1) Will MiniB3D ever support incbin for B3D files and their textures/models/etc? Don't get me wrong - I love minib3d - I'd gladly pay donations for it! I just hate bugging devs with feature requests. ;)

2) Will Kleptos new extended version be coming out soon?

3) Or, is there another good method for handling my maps rather than relying on incbin? (PAKed datafiles, for example - if I point LoadMesh at a PAK loader, how does it also extract the textures, etc?)

I'm not great at BlitzMax yet, so if I've overlooked something obvious in the documentation, please let me know. It's taken me a while to get the engine working the way I want (using max2d on minib3d), with physics and loading working fine. Just wish I could tidy up my production!

Black3D(Posted 2008) [#2]
Left out the obvious, sorry. This is in regards to using incbin with LoadMesh, eg:
incbin "mymap.b3d"
Local mesh:TMesh=LoadMesh("incbin::mymap.b3d")

siread(Posted 2008) [#3]
I've been using Molebox to pack my media, however I'm not 100% certain that it's compatible with all end users yet.

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#4]
As far as I know, you can incbin any file correct? The problems lye with loading the incbin'd files correct? Well couldnt you write the incbin'd file out during runtime/load it and delete it after the program is closed?

Black3D(Posted 2008) [#5]
Yes, Yahfree - incbin isn't the problem. The LoadMesh is. I could certainly write out the file when it's needed, but that's pretty sloppy and works against programming conventions for Vista - it doesn't like any non-admin program (program launched without Administrator priveleges) writing out files to Program Files, even during runtime of a program in that folder. It can be done, just under high-security setups some issues are raised with creating the new files (although exisiting modifying ones, like mygame.ini doesn't seem to be an issue?).

It prefers writing to another location (specifically, the Games/myprogram user folder, or the user/roaming/program files folder), which is fine, except it also means copying all the textures and models across to that same location every time I want to load a mesh.

I'm looking for a solution that can either loaded directly from a packed resource, or from incbin'ing the data itself (which, on large scale projects, isn't really a solution).