Brushes and terrains

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Brushes and terrains

plash(Posted 2008) [#1]
I'm pretty certain brushes are applied per surface, which means I can't do tile based brushing, unless I had single quad sized chunks - which would (probably, input?) be super slow.
(this is a continuation of this: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=77178 - going more in depth to the tile texturing idea)

I'm going to be using 32x32 sized chunks (possibly less, I posted my results from a modified version of the TTerrain class and the file format on my blog: see sig) for the terrain.
It would be possible to build a chunk's texture by drawing the tile textures individually on a 2d screen, then grabbing that into a texture and use that for brushing.

Terrain chunks tile sized (2x2/4x4 or so) would be very memory inefficient, because all the information about the chunk's mesh and surface cannot be freed (8, 32x32-sized chunks is a 256x256 sized map, 64, 4x4-sized chunks is a 256x256 sized map; so in a 32x32 chunk sized terrain there are only 8 chunks that make up the terrain [8 mesh's and surface's], however in a 4x4 chunk sized terrain there are 64 chunks that make up the terrain [64 mesh's and surface's - thats alot more memory]).

What are your thoughts on tile based texturing (in a terrain)?
Am I correct about brushing to single surfaces?
Is there a limit to how many surfaces can be used in a scene?