What is the best Modeller for creating B3D files?

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/What is the best Modeller for creating B3D files?

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#1]
I played with Blender a bit which is a great application, but it doesn't standard support export to B3D and yo can totally forget to import B3D.

So I'm looking for a good modeller which has the following options :

- Animated models
- full B3D import and export support
- loading 2d images to build your model on
- Easy way to add textures and create a finished product to use in BlitzMax + MiniB3D directly
- Not too expensive

I'm thinking about buying one of the following, but what would you use and why?

These are the one that have crossed my mind :

Lightray 3D
Milkshape 3D
Fragmotion

smilertoo(Posted 2008) [#2]
Blender is free.

plash(Posted 2008) [#3]
Blender is a great solution, and there is a python plugin for exporting b3d mesh's (animation and now multi-uv texture sets): http://www.gandaldf.com/

EDIT: having no b3d import generally isn't a problem (unless you want to modify someone else's b3d's) because you can just save it in .blender format then just change it and export again.

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#4]
Blender is indeed great design options are limetless, but I don't like the export to B3D file scripts.

but I played with the trial version of Milkshape and Lightray 3D a bit myself and concluded the following :

Milkshape is very easy to use and great for starters... Didn't need a tutorial to draw a model. B3D exporter works good as well.
Downside is that it is good for small models only, but stil you can build great thins with it and the price is only 35$.

Lightray 3D is very great in options and still easy to use, It's harder to learn as Milkshape, but there are some very good tutorials on how to make a model in only a few steps. What is even better is that you can import AND export B3D files. Downside is that there are still some minor issues in combination with Vista which I hope will be fixed soon. The price is arround 70$, which I think is a fair price.

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#5]
I use Milkshape and Ultimate Unwrap. Exporting B3D from Milkshape loses the smoothing groups, however, loading the model into UU and exporting to B3D retains the smoothing groups correctly.

Generally you're going to need UU to unwrap the model anyway as the milkshape unwrapper is pants.

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#6]
Smooting is indeed not supported directly, the same is with Blender when exporting.

I bought Milkshape 3d and will use it for the smaller models like weapons, persons. I think it is a lot faster for that because of easy usage and editing.

I will still use Blender for the bigger detailed stuff like maybe castles and stuff.

Ultimate Unwrap will probably be my next buy, I thought that b3d files didn't support smoothing at all all the time, so thanks for that info.

I will also wait on LightRay 1.5 to come out and will check the trial version then. I think this is maybe the best solution if Vista troubles are over in combination with it.
I mailed the creator of LightRay and he told me we can expect version 1.5 beta within 1 month and 1.5 within 2 months... :-)

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#7]
Silo3D and Fragmotion are worth a look as well.

Silo for modelling, sub-d style.
Fragmotion for converting/animating/painting meshes. Also, it is scriptable.

jhocking(Posted 2008) [#8]
There are a whole lot of tools you can use, and different people have different preferences. The main commonality though is that if your chosen tool doesn't have an exporter to b3d available, then you will want to get Ultimate Unwrap. It is pretty much indispensable for working with b3d files because it can import/export like a million different file formats.

Tachyon(Posted 2008) [#9]
What's the easiest way to get 3D Studio Max files (.MAX) to .B3D format?

Warner(Posted 2008) [#10]
You can export to b3d from max with b3dpipeline: http://www.onigirl.com/pipeline/

Black3D(Posted 2008) [#11]
3D World Studio - models like Valve Hammer, exports directly to B3D. Although, you have to make sure you're using MAX-compatiable textures.

OTOH, if you're after characters meshes (instead of solid world models), Blender is the best, as mentioned by several above!

Canardian(Posted 2008) [#12]
Ultimate Unwrapper 3D is a great modelling program too, besides everyone needs it anyway to convert models decently, including weld and other fixing.