A Little Collision Help

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/A Little Collision Help

Matt(Posted 2008) [#1]
I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I've started a very basic 3d game (my first one) and I'm having a bit of trouble with collisions.

I have 1 mesh for my player, and it is given EntityType 1, while my buildings are EntityType2.

Now, when I setup Collisions 1,2,3,1 or any other combination of 1,2,#,# nothing happens. Now, I control the movement of my player with WASD movement, so maybe I'm messing something up here, but how exactly do I check for collisions then?

Also, I've noticed that Collisions 1,2,2,2 requires a sphere radius to be applied, but how does this work with tall, slim type meshes? The hit boxes would be very off.

I can post my code if needed.

Thanks

simonh(Posted 2008) [#2]
* Use Collisions 1,2,2
* Use EntityRadius x,y for an ellipsoid
* Make sure you are using UpdateWorld once per loop.

Look at the sliding_collisions.bmx for an example.

Matt(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thank you, that worked great!

Matt(Posted 2008) [#4]
Alright, maybe I spoke too soon. I am no longer using CreateCube, but rather a mesh that I exported from Blender.

I have the following for TShip:
' 3D Entity
		s.mesh = copymesh(efactory.shipMesh)
		s.texture = efactory.shipTex
		EntityTexture s.mesh, s.texture
		PositionEntity s.mesh, 0,0,0
		EntityType s.mesh, SHIPID
		ScaleEntity s.mesh, s.sizex, s.sizey, s.sizez
		EntityRadius s.mesh, s.sizex, s.sizey, s.sizez
		TurnEntity s.mesh, s.xrotation, s.yrotation, s.zrotation

and for TAsteroid:

a.mesh = CopyMesh(efactory.asteroidMesh)
		a.texture = efactory.asteroidTex
		EntityTexture a.mesh, a.texture
		EntityRadius a.mesh, a.sizex, a.sizex, a.sizez
		PositionEntity a.mesh, a.x, a.y, 0
		EntityType a.mesh, ASTEROIDID
		scaleEntity a.mesh, a.sizex, a.sizey, a.sizez

Both are created with PositionEntity a.mesh, x, y, 0 as to keep the Z axis out of the picture.
SHIPID = 1
ASTEROIDID = 2

by calling
Collisions 1,2,2

I really only care about the Entities that collide, so I've tried EntityCollide and CountCollisions to see if my ship has collided with anything. Neither are correct.

Any ideas?

simonh(Posted 2008) [#5]
Collision mode 2 is only intended for use with dynamic ellipsoids -> static meshes. If your ship and asteroids are both moving, you will have to use method 1 (sphere-sphere).

Use Collisions 1,2,1 for this.

Matt(Posted 2008) [#6]
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I tried that method as well. Should countCollisions or EntityCollide be returning correctly in either of these situations?

Matt(Posted 2008) [#7]
Great, I figured it out. I was altering my ship.x based on my own coordinates and not the EntityX/Y/Z ones.

Learn something new everyday...

Matt(Posted 2008) [#8]
Ok, well, this still isn't working and I'm very confused as to why. Perhaps I'm doing something to break something...

My ship is positioned at screehwidth/2, screenheight/2, z=0

The ship actually never moves, but everything else is adjusted by is velocity. So, an asteroid is moved -x,-y of the ships velocity direction.

When an asteroid is moved, I call PositionEntity, does that have an effect on anything? Also, I use CopyMesh for my asteroids, does that affect collisions at all?

I've printed out the EntityX/Y/Z of all objects and I can place my ship directly over an asteroid and the coordinates are correct, but nothing happens.

Does EntityCollided not work with collisison?

I am calling EntityCollided(self.mesh, ASTEROIDID), is that not correct?

Any ideas?

simonh(Posted 2008) [#9]
If you send me the program I'll take a look.

Matt(Posted 2008) [#10]
I sent you an email with the code.