GPLv3

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/GPLv3

nawi(Posted 2008) [#1]
Can MiniB3D be licensed under GPLv3? It would enable me to release a library that uses code from MiniB3D (the matrix type only..) under GPLv3. It is my understanding that the author of software can release software under multiple licenses, so people can still use MiniB3D just as they are using it now (I'm unsure what the current license is anyway)..

Difference(Posted 2008) [#2]
ModuleInfo "License: You are free to use this code as you please"
should be pretty obvious. The code is public domain.

IMO it is not ok to slap a more restrictive licence(like the GPLv3) on the source, but if you use the code or part of it your own program, you are free to.

If you make a note in your docs if you release the source about witch functions are public domain, you should be okay.
Notice IANAL

Amon(Posted 2008) [#3]
Yeah, that's the good thing about MiniB3D, Simon decided to let anyone do whatever they want with the code.

Picklesworth(Posted 2008) [#4]
I am pretty sure that there is compatible with GPL.

As for releasing a library under GPL 3... have you considered the Lesser GPL?
Granted, I do see the purpose of a viral license on a library, but just in case you missed the options ;)

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#5]
have you considered the Lesser GPL

Unless the library was being released as a DLL, LGPL is essentially the same as GPL - unless you apply exceptions for statically linking (like what wxWidgets etc do).

Picklesworth(Posted 2008) [#6]
Ah, indeed, if it is a BlitzMax library then you may ignore me :)

nawi(Posted 2008) [#7]
How is LGPL essentially the same as GPL? I thought that if I release my library under GPL, everyone who uses that library must release the complete program under GPL, but if I use LGPL then they don't have to.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#8]
How is LGPL essentially the same as GPL

LGPL states that if you static-link you are essentially compiling the source into your own app, in which case binary falls under GPL status.
You can only soft-link (ie. DLL/shared object) a library with LGPL if you want to have your app non-GPL.

Or, you make a variation of the LGPL to stipulate that static linking clause does not apply in your library's case.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#9]
GPL, to me, is the most effective attempt to make sure nobody wants to use the library as it enforces GPL even if you use the library unmodified.