What graphics cards have trouble with minib3d

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/What graphics cards have trouble with minib3d

*(Posted 2007) [#1]
By graphics cards I mean 3d cards not 'Cirrus Logic 1Mb card' :)

The main reason im asking this is im making Elite Multiplayer in minib3d and people all over the world want to play it, not everyone has high end graphics either.

An S3 Unichrome Pro IGP (32Mb) has trouble with Max2d integration but can run 3d fine on v0452. This is my programming laptop so at least I know the limitations on that score. Although you have to run it in 32bit mode as 16bit mode flickers like hell.

The list is:
S3 Unichrome Pro IGP (trouble with Max2d and 16bit depth)
NVidia 5700 (Z sorting problem)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Z sorting problem)
All Intel chipsets (Minib3d has trouble running on these)*
ATI X1950XTX (has problem with shadow mapping)

*latest version may work on intel chipsets havent confirmed it yet

ATI X1100 works with updated drivers (get latest drivers from www.ati.com)

FBEpyon(Posted 2007) [#2]
Im having problems with the x1100 Express (256mb) on my labtop it does the 2D but I get a black screen in the 3D... its kinda anoying

simonh(Posted 2007) [#3]
Z-sort problems with V0.45:

Nvidia 5700 256MB
ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

Leon Drake(Posted 2007) [#4]
you could do what most leading game makers do, if you cant run it "piss off" lol

jkrankie(Posted 2007) [#5]
i can't get miniB3D to run on any intel graphics chip...

Cheers
Charlie

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#6]
Same here.

Max2D runs on XP, but not on Vista
MiniB3D runs on neither

GMA 900 based Intel Onboard, bought jan 07

iroker(Posted 2007) [#7]
on ATI X1950XTX problems with Shadow Mapping.
Too slow and with Artifactīs but i think thatīs a ATI problem.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#8]
does anyone have problems with the intel gma x3100 and x3500 ?

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#9]
Did anyone beside new MacBook owners waste money on an X3100 based system?

The "Windows system sellers" do not have such a large sell base for it due to the NVIDIA 6150 / 7100 onboard ...

Sledge(Posted 2008) [#10]
The Intel issue was to do with not being able to get the size of the available vram, wasn't it? At least that was the case for me in XP -- I made the changes to MiniB3D suggested on here (details here) and it works really well with my '915GM/GMS,910GML' (it doesn't seem to know exactly what it is!) based machine.

EDIT: The latest version doesn't seem to require any editing to work on my Intel jobbie :D

*(Posted 2008) [#11]
Could someone confirm that the latest version works on intel chipsets

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#12]
yes please can someone confirm ive been looking for a reason to buy an asus eee :O)

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2008) [#13]
I`ve got a NVidia XFX 7950GT 512Mb AGP, and I get a black screen for all the examples that come with b3d, same with other stuff.

In the CameraPick example, the screen is black but if I click around I do get the data (picked triangle etc).

Any ideas?

Difference(Posted 2008) [#14]
@.rIKmAN. :
A few questions to just to make sure:

You write "b3d". Are you talking about that or minib3d?

What verison of minib3d are you testing with?, only the latest is relevant now.

Have you upgraded to the latest drivers for you card?

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2008) [#15]
@Peter:

Yeah sorry for the ambiguity, old habits die hard! :)
I did indeed mean MiniB3D.

I`m using v0.452 (which is latest afaik?), and I have the correct uoto date drivers for my card.

I can`t seem to use any NVidia ones as then the card doesnt install properly, but if I use the ones from the XFX website (have to put in serial number etc) then all goes well.
I don`t have problems in any other application, and normal Blitz3D works fine.

Like I say I get the white "FPS: 60" text in the top left corner, but everything else just black - however if I click around the black screen (iun the CameraPick demo) then I get correct data reported for what I'm clicking, just there is no display.

This is the same for the demos that come with MiniB3D and for any demo`s using it.

klepto2(Posted 2008) [#16]
could you comment out all text commands in the sample and maybe the BeginMax2D-EndMax2D Part and test again?

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2008) [#17]
There are no BeginMax2D-EndMax2D commands in the samples I`m trying - and commenting out the Text commands just gave me a totally black screen.
I`m testing the Examples folder that comes with MiniB3D.

Should I post my problem as a new thread?

klepto2(Posted 2008) [#18]
No you don't have to open a new thread.
The outcommenting of the text commands was just a guess because I had a similar problem with this type of gfx card and leaving out the '2D commands' was a small fix.

Are you running Vista? There are unfortunatly some known issues with some drivers. Have you installed the newest drivers? (doesn't relate to Vista)

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2008) [#19]
I`m running XP with SP2, all latest drivers.
It`s a strange one...

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#20]
did you disable SLI support just to make sure because your card could be one of the 2 GPU on 1 board solutions of the 7950 (don't know which models were dual GPU there)

simonh(Posted 2008) [#21]
Rik, In minib3d.bmx, can you try changing the values of USE_MAX2D and USE_VBO to see if that does anything?

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2008) [#22]
Simon: I don`t have "USE_MAX2D" anywhere in minib3d.bmx, I tried changing the value of USE_VBO to False and that had no effect - still the same, black screen with white text in top left telling me the FPS.

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#23]
Could someone confirm that the latest version works on intel chipsets

Anyone?

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#24]
It never worked on my 900GMA

Only Max2D works on that

Microsofts OpenGL 1.1 Emulation layer does not support the stuff needed for it.

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2008) [#25]
Am I missing something....do I need to install Max2D for minib3d to work?

I have only added the minib3d mod (and rebuilt in Max).

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#26]
what about linux with a 900gma? anyone got that combo?

D4NM4N(Posted 2008) [#27]
intel 82815 and an ancient ati rage (not radeon)

But i dont think thats anything to do with minib3d :P
I wouldnt want another intel based GPU, even if the laptop was free and came with a full night out on the town with free bar and women.

-edit- ok mabe i would... but i would sell it fast!

horrible things.

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#28]
the x3500 is quite good, its the only intel chip ive seen thats run a 3d game at a good frame rate. trouble is the laptop was owned by someone i used to work with so i have no access to it to try out open gl performance.

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2008) [#29]
OK well I have installed Klepto`s Extended MiniB3D and seems to work!
Even using stuff written for minib3d works if I just change the import to klepto.minib3d (from sidesign.minib3d)

klepto2(Posted 2008) [#30]
For all ATI card owners !
Please download the latest Catalyst 8.1 drivers :

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp

The new drivers are in my opinion the best ones since a long time. They have rewritten the OpenGL driver from scratch and solved a lot of serious opengl bugs. Also they have updated to OpenGL Version 2.1.7275 Release.

Short Summary:
FBOs completely supported and fixed
Depthmaps fixed (now shadowmapping is as fast as on NVIDIA)
Overall Performance and Stability has increased

If you have problems with ATI and OpenGL just try it.

FBEpyon(Posted 2008) [#31]
Version 0.452

WORKS GREAT!!! It runs faster than all heck i love it thanks..

ATI Xpress 1100 now works..

simonh(Posted 2008) [#32]
They have rewritten the OpenGL driver from scratch and solved a lot of serious opengl bugs. Also they have updated to OpenGL Version 2.1.7275 Release.

Well, that's good news. Can everyone with an ATI card download this and see if it fixes any problems?

ATI Xpress 1100 now works..

Is that after you installed the new ATI drivers?

FBEpyon(Posted 2008) [#33]
No my works with version 7.12 of the drivers...

klepto2(Posted 2008) [#34]
7.12 is the same as 8.1 but 7.12 has a broken GLSL compiler so
maybe you should update your driver ;)

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#35]
I need to reinstall window every time i try to install a new driver it gives me a error and stops the install. good news that they have finally got round to open gl again.

Im geting a new laptop but cant spend that much money, so im interested if anyone has got anything running with one of the cheap igp's. intel gma x3100 seams to be standard now. although gma 950 is very common too. x3100 is sometimes labeled just gma 965

it supports open gl 1.5 and direct x 9. it will be slow but should work. if someone can confirm this that would be great

Manromen(Posted 2008) [#36]
does anyone have problems with the intel gma x3100 and x3500 ?

my intel gma x3100 seems to don't have problems :-)
(tested with minib3d-v0452 under MacOSX10.5)

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#37]
the Intel 945 is just crap. It doesn't work well with OpenGL

IceVAN(Posted 2008) [#38]
Hi

I have a macbook with Intel GMA 950 and run OK.
I dont have any problem.

Tested with minib3d-v0.452 and leopard.

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#39]
thanks for the answer. i was desiding what laptop to buy and alot of them have gma 950's or x3100 but ive desided to save for a mac book pro.