Details?

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Details?

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#1]
Ok Im maybe going to get blitzmax in the next few weeks to replace blitz3d. As well as windows I also have a linux machine and would like experiment. Anyway what features are work in progress with minib3d? Ive heard that collision is a bit slow but what else? Slower Collision performance will not bother me much when converting my current project, because i will use JV_ode.

Is there any other issues i will run in to coverting from a blitz3d project?

thanks

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#2]
As far as I know Simon is working on faster b3d animations and bugfixes. A new update should be available soon.

I'm currently on a lot of new features:
this is only a small part of it:
-different mesh loaders (md3,obj and collada)
-better terrainsystem (already running needs some fixing with multiple terrains
-Octree Scene Manager for static objects
-More features for the integrated Newton physics Engine (Vehicles, Buoyancy planes)
-R2t (something like Texturebuffers)
-PostFX system (full screen and per entity based)
-projected textures
-new Material system specially designed for shaders
- and a lot more.

I'm currently waiting for simons new release as I want to add all my additions from scratch to clean up my own interface a bit.
So I think my next version will be available 2 or 3 weeks after simons.

Issues you can ran into:
-currently no Texturebuffers. You have to use the BackbuffertoTexture function.
-no terrain in the standard version
-maybe you will find some other bugs but these will be solved as minib3d evolves.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thanks for clearing that up klepto2. thank you to you and simon for all your hard work

simonh(Posted 2007) [#4]
Yes the new version will be released in a few days time. The main areas of improvement are faster collisions and animations.

jhocking(Posted 2007) [#5]
woohoo faster collisions and animation, I look forward to the update simon!

I hadn't gotten extended before but I might for collada support. I forget, does collada support skeletal animation? If so, klepto will you load animations or only the mesh?

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#6]
I don't think that collada support will be ready for the next release. But yes, collada supports skeletal animation.

My goal is to support nearly every feature of the collada file format, some things will not work but I the loader will be easily extendable. In fact it is a generic loader which will collect all data from the collada file. This data is processed by a meshloader currently only single objects are imported more or less correctly (some texture problems) the next step is to provide the scene nodes to bring the single files to one scene (rotation,dependecies, etc.)

Small Image:

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#7]
This is great news i will order blitzmax next friday and the gui module. Plus i need to get the max version of jv_ode but i get 50% discount on that.

Can I get particle candy working in max?

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#8]
No you can't

X-Pressives Libraries are heavily optimized for Blitz3Ds way of handling it.

For BM I suggest that you write a new one from ground up, especially as the rendering works differently as well and allows things never possible in B3D (point sprites -> single point particles instead of quads)

jhocking(Posted 2007) [#9]
Doesn't klepto's extended miniB3D have a particle system in it?