DirectX support for MiniB3D

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/DirectX support for MiniB3D

anawiki(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi
How hard would it be to add Direct3D support for MiniB3D. I don't expect simonh to do it, but I wonder anyway, how long and how hard? If that would not be so hard, maybe I/we could pay someone to do this?

We are finishing Pony World and D3D support would be great :)

best
Roman

H&K(Posted 2007) [#2]
Its not a question of dx "support" for MiniB3D, All the commands would need to be re-written for DX, so it more a question of "How long would it take to write an eqivilant MiniB3D in DX"

And the answer is
1) As long as it took Simonh to write MiniB3D in the first place so .... 6mths so 104hrs @ 4 hrs a week (Simon better numbers?)
2) A DX miniB3D would be the B3DSDK ;- That is it already exists, as a product from BRL

Its doable, but why bother, the SDK is $100, (Which you may or may not concider steap), but at my estimate of 104hrs thats less than $ an hour.
If you really cannot afford that, then IrrB3D by Gman has nearly the same command set and is openGL, DX8, DX9 and two software renders.

simonh(Posted 2007) [#3]
It's possible. Most of the OpenGL commands in MiniB3D are contained in one function (Mesh.Update()), so it's just a case of having two versions of that function, one for OGL, one for DX. It would probably easiest to do via a DLL rather than trying to use DX commands is Max code.

anawiki(Posted 2007) [#4]
I haven't tried B3DSDK or IrrB3D - the case is our game is almost completed and we use MiniB3D. We mix 2D and 3D. Will B3DSDK let me mix 2D & 3D? If yes, will it be comatibile with MiniB3D commands? If yes, then I buy that, if not, I need other solution.

best
Roman

popcade(Posted 2007) [#5]
1.Will B3DSDK let me mix 2D & 3D
Many people tried but no public result yet, so not prpbably yet.

2.If yes, will it be comatibile with MiniB3D commands?
Those basic part is, but my personal test ended up with big rewrite because I used some MiniB3D specific things.

DX Renderer was talked about, Simon want to do it, but the at high priotity.