Dual monitors issue...

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Dual monitors issue...

LT(Posted 2007) [#1]
I've been using Extended MiniB3D and have come across a new problem. When I set up dual monitors and the primary display is on the right, I get unexpected and strange results for the graphics window that opens up. It looks like it is reading into the wrong offset in display memory. I suppose that's not too surprising, but this only seems to happen on my Radeon 9800, and not on my NVidia card.

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?

ima747(Posted 2007) [#2]
Does this happen in any commercial games? (half-life 1 for example...) back when my rig was running on a radeon based card I had lots of problems in full screen games when running dual head (or tripple when I added another card I found in a closet... fyi, don't install cards you find in closets.) but I have never had a problem with an nvidia card and multiple displays, besides the desktop picture size changing but that's just a windows thing.

I can't really offer a solution but I would recommend you test it out to see if it's blitz centric or more your hardware/software config. as it's not that uncommon win windows, especially with ATI cards, to have some strange stuff happen with dual screens.

LAB[au](Posted 2007) [#3]
Well here on a 4 screens setup with 2 nvidia 7600GT it works perfect. Off course fullscreen is limited, as apparently you cannot open a fullscreen drawing buffer of more than 4096x4096, but if you set all screens to 800x600 resolution, it works. But in contrary to the hydra app from ATI, the nview from Nvidia plays quite well with windows multiple desktop settings.

LT(Posted 2007) [#4]
Yeah, it's not Blitz alone. I have the same problem with the trial version of Mudbox. I was just wondering if there was some alternate method that would allow me to avoid this issue - some way of supplying a memory offset, perhaps?

I'll try contacting ATI as well, of course. I'm sure they'll appreciate that better multi-monitor support alone is reason enough for me to switch to NVidia. ;)

LAB[au](Posted 2007) [#5]
Hopeless! I have been reporting these issues to them 2 years ago. I never touched an Ati card since then. Even Intel IG have better support for that!

If your software is an app, you can always fake a fullscreen, with extending the window to virtual desktop dimensions and keeping it on top (in the gui forum I posted some code for that). It makes for quite large resolution and won't work with opengl graphics on vista, it will never run faster than your screen refresh rate (the slowest of the refresh rate of all monitors in fact), so practically 60 fps max in most cases.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#6]
If you have an ATI, install HydraVision from the ATI page

This will enable multiscreen hardware acceleration.

Thats needed as bare minimum for DX / OpenGL on more than one screen.

On NVidia you don't need that as it is a pure driver setting there.

Ziltch(Posted 2007) [#7]
I stopped using ATI years ago because of this as well.