Vertex Buffers

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Vertex Buffers

plash(Posted 2007) [#1]
Do you have to have a certain gfx card to use VBO?

and, sometime in the future will it be a feature in minib3d (the standard version)?

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#2]
In general you need at least a OpenGL 2.0 Card as far as I know. In my extended Version it only uses VBOs when supported elsewhere it fallsback to standars VertexArrays etc. .

the second question goes on to simon ;)

Oddball(Posted 2007) [#3]
In general you need at least a OpenGL 2.0
I believe VBOs were introduced in OpenGL 1.5. Although my OpenGL 1.4 card supports VBOs so some cards had them early.

In my extended Version it only uses VBOs when supported elsewhere it fallsback to standars VertexArrays etc. .
You shouldn't always assume VBOs are quicker than vertex arrays. Whilst it is generally true, in my tests some cards with shared memory are faster at vertex arrays than VBOs.

plash(Posted 2007) [#4]
Does anyone know if blitz3d uses VBO's all the time?

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#5]
I think I have to clarify my previous post a bit more. In my extended Version there is an extra command called UseVBO(Mesh:TMesh,Use:Byte), when activating VBOs through this command, minib3d will fallback.

VBOs generally are only useful for meshes with a lot of Vertices or tris. Also as long miniB3D doesn't have currently the possibility to do shader based boneanimation VBOs should only be used with static objects (not animated).

Oddball: you're right. I have looked back again and it was 1.4 and not 2.0.

If B3D uses VBOs all the time. I don't know but I could hardly believe.