3DS-->B3D

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/3DS-->B3D

CASO(Posted 2007) [#1]
I've decided to go with Anim8or and AN8TOB3D. (See Post Below)

Original Message:
What is the cheapest way to convert 3DS files to B3D files? I am looking for a good (simple) modeller and Wings 3D (and possibly Blender) seem pretty good. If you have any suggestions for a modeller, do tell.

PS: I like MAPLET because it lets you work in a 3d environment instead of having to design something from 3 different views, such as Milkshape.

Russell(Posted 2007) [#2]
Blender is a good choice, because it supports a reasonable number of input/output formats, is free and can be extended with Python, a strange but relatively easy to learn scripting language. In fact, all (?) of the input and output formats are handled by Python code (which you can view to understand better).

If you have NOT used other 3D apps, Blender will seem fairly straightforward to learn. If you HAVE, then it may require some UN-learning. In my opinion, it is well worth the effort. Makes a perfect companion to BMax for creating game graphics, etc.

Russell

www.blender.org

simonh(Posted 2007) [#3]
I use Ultimate Unwrap ( www.unwrap3d.com ) for converting from other formats to .b3d, great little program.

JetFireDX(Posted 2007) [#4]
I bought FragMotion because I need something to do animations for cheap and it supports .B3D export and import. $25 - good to go.

Otherwise I use Wings for modeling because I couldn't get my mind around Blender's interface. (Bought the book, did tutorials....two weeks of working everynight with Blender and I was nowhere. Wings took me two days to get the hang of without tutorials and each tool I have looked for help with has been one or two tries to figure it out. It works great and is REALLY easy.) Try them all though! After all they are free!

CASO(Posted 2007) [#5]
I don't know if this suprises you, but I actually think I am going to use Anim8or. I downloaded the AN8TOB3D and I ran into a strange problem. It created a b3d file, and it seems to load and work in the converting software (which I think was written in Blitz3d), but won't work with MiniB3d (I'm still testing this problem). Is there any differences in Blitz3d loading a b3d file and MiniB3d loading one.

ima747(Posted 2007) [#6]
I use an all free modeling->minib3d path of blender, save as b3d, open and re-save with Decorator to convert to b3d. Work great, I do my texturing in Blender as well (gotta be UV textures). You can also use Blender save as b3d and do lightmapping with Slim Shady (also free). the wierd thing is slim shady b3d files don't load in minib3d for me... but if you open them with decorator and just save again it's fine and the lighmap is attached.

All free, fairly simple and I only had to learn blender (and slim shady for lightmaps) instead of a modeler and something else like Ultimate Unwrap (I was too lazy to figure it out and too cheap to buy it)

CASO(Posted 2007) [#7]
I think i figured it out. When working with more primitive shapes, it works. When working with the really smooth high-poly figure, it crashes and says that it is outside array length.
My Conclusion: I broke some sort of poly limit

Can anyone confirm that?

On slightly different notes:
1. Decorator keeps giving me a 'Memory Access Violation' error
2. When I do sometimes manage to get a model into MiniB3d (through AN8TOB3D and Slim Shady) the colors are gone. What is the best way to get a model out of Anim8or and into MiniB3D (with color)(animation not required)?

CASO(Posted 2007) [#8]
I found a good combo, make it in Anim8or and convert it from .3ds to .b3d in Milkshape.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#9]
Maximum: 64k triangles and vertices per model
with more it just crashes.

depending on your graphic card, perhaps even earlier.

TheSkyIsUp(Posted 2009) [#10]
I realize this topic is old, but I'm not sure where to post. I need help. AN8TOB3D has a memory access violation when I try to convert an Anim8or model with texture into B3D format. Can't AN8TOB3D handle texture data?

I'm new to 3D modeling all together, so I don't know much. Any info will be helpful.

*(Posted 2009) [#11]
I would go with Ultimate Unwrap as this caters for everything :)

TheSkyIsUp(Posted 2009) [#12]
I'll look into that program.

I was also thinking I'd try doing a combo by making a non-textured animated figure and then attaching textured .3ds models to different parts of it (Like a head on the neck and hands on the end of the arms, etc.). I planned to try this by positioning the textured mesh on the right vertex on the animated mesh with the Vertex X, Y, and Z commands, but for some reason those commands don't seem to take other frames of the mesh into account. The textured meshes are only placed where the main frame of the animated mesh is... Is there any way around this?