MiniB3D V0.42

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/MiniB3D V0.42

simonh(Posted 2007) [#1]
No new features I'm afraid but worth updating to as it fixes and tidies up quite a few important things.

Download Here

kfprimm(Posted 2007) [#2]
Awesome! Thanks alot.

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#3]
cool!! I'm dowloading it!

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#4]
Great engine!!

The B3D importing seems improved!!!, but I still have some problem with cubemaps & co:

simonh(Posted 2007) [#5]
Can you send me the media file? I'll keep it private of course.

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#6]
yes! which email address?

simonh(Posted 2007) [#7]
si@...

mongia2(Posted 2007) [#8]
thanks simonh

degac(Posted 2007) [#9]
[ LINUX ]
I have this message when I try to compile ANY examples or the MiniB3d.bmx file.
Building minib3d
Compiling:minib3d.bmx
flat assembler  version 1.64
error: out of memory.
Build Error: Failed to assemble /home/degac/Desktop/BlitzMax/MiniB3D-v042/.bmx/minib3d.bmx.gui.debug.linux.x86.s
Process complete

Any hint about 'Out of memory'?
I'm using the standard IDE but I have not info in the Debug tab or nothing highligthed in the source...Bmax stops in the output window.

I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 - Bmax 1.24 with last sync - AthlonX2 3800, 1 Gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce 6600

I have already compiled other projects in Bmax and I have not a such error before!

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#10]
Take a look here:

[a http://www.minib3d.com/doku.php?id=start:faqminib3dstandard#i_want_to_build_the_minib3d_module_under_linux_but_i_always_get_an_out_of_memory_error._what_should_i_do]click me![/a]

I hope it helps.

degac(Posted 2007) [#11]
Many Many thanks! It works perfectly!!!

JonasL(Posted 2007) [#12]
Get "Unhandled exception: Unable to calculate tex size" when

Local tex = LoadTexture("media/Zombie.jpg")

In fact I can't load any texture. It worked in previous versions. Sizes are legal for my graphics card. It also works in B3D.

WindowsXP

art <><(Posted 2007) [#13]
what is your graphic card?. i have the same error in v0.41 and v.042

deps(Posted 2007) [#14]
I had this problem using an integrated Intel graphics card.

*(Posted 2007) [#15]
have you tried changing the bit depth of the window?

simonh(Posted 2007) [#16]
z4g0 - I haven't received a file from you. Did you send it?

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#17]
I've resend you the file days ago :)

mongia2(Posted 2007) [#18]
z4go insert a link!!
from your site!

JonasL(Posted 2007) [#19]
I had this problem using an integrated Intel graphics card.

Yes, thanks, the problem is with the OpenGL drivers for IBM's integrated graphics solution. The fix that is suggested elsewhere in the forum worked for me. Problem is those integrated solutions are quite common so it becomes a problem with your game and not a it is IBMs fault, let them fix it.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#20]
If you target integrated cards, keep in mind that even Intel GMA 900, the top notch intel card 1.5 - 2 years ago, did NOT feature shader units (it emulated them through CPU).
So if you want them to be part of your audience, do not use any shader stuff at all.

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#21]
Hi, simonh, files arrived?

An other thing: I've get a look in minib3D source code, and I noticed that all the main structures are tList: Was no better do it with faster Array/slice or maps? Because also the 0.42 seems to be really slower than Blitz3D :(

Have u plan to converti it in Arrays?

coolwork aniway.

simonh(Posted 2007) [#22]
z4g0 - yes I have got the file. Thanks!

I don't believe using arrays for the main structures would provide much of a speed boost. It would also complicate the code considerably.

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#23]
I have to agree with simon, I have integrated an Octree scenemanager and tried it both with Arrays and TLists and the speedgain of arrays doesn't justify the work we would have to do for the coversation.

Atleast a lot of people whose were testing my new extended Version told me that the Octree version is faster than Blitz3D ( I couldn't compare as I didn't own B3D). And te Octree system is designed to be easily integrated to the original miniB3D version with a total of around 10 line changes so maybe simonh will add this additionally to his version.

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#24]
Thanks!

Atleast a lot of people whose were testing my new extended Version told me that the Octree version is faster than Blitz3D

The next "Extended 0.42"? or the already released Ex041?

In Ex041 I've tested.. and yes... seems a bit faster than STD041, but b3D, with the same 3D scene still have an really higher framerate.

I've see (041) that you use your octree "only" in tmesh and tcollision: it's possibile use that also in other main tlist ( surfaces, renderlist etc..)?

mongia2(Posted 2007) [#25]
i tested with degac
for a speed map array and list

i see this image!

thanks

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#26]
@z4g0 :
I mean in the next release extended 0.42 will be a new Octree scenemanger. The currentone was integrated by simonh for speeding up collisions and linepicks. My octree is completely independend and per entity based. Also it is a not realtime octree instead it is meant to be for static geometry like trees and so on. And you will handle it this way:

'Just Pseudo
SetSceneManager(New OctreeSceneManager)

SetMaxLevel(10)' Maximum partition level
SetMaxEntities(150) ' if a level has more then this value it is devided once more

StartOctree()

For Local I:Int = 0 to 16000
    'Create your entities as usual
    'All Entities will be added to the octree
NExt

EndOctree() ' Now all (eg: moving objects) will be inserted the standard way

BuildOctree() ' Pregenerates the octree

Mainloop()

@mongia:

Keep in mind that you have to sort the arrays every time you call renderworld or insert an entity, also it has to be sorted extra for each camera etc. This list doesn't say anything about the speed comparison in minib3d. You can't compare a function which just returns an int with a complex very large and math heavy function just to say that the first function is faster. Maybe you could post some code to prove this issue with a complete functionset to simulate the list behaviour used in minib3d.

*(Posted 2007) [#27]
I get tons of duplicate identifier errors with this version that dont happen with v040 (the last one I have)

simonh(Posted 2007) [#28]
Duplicate identifier errors? Can you expand on that?

ima747(Posted 2007) [#29]
Have you removed the previous version? duplicate identifiers usualy indicate 2 things are trying to create a function variable etc. with the same name. The most likely reason for that would be you're trying to run 2 versions of MiniB3D at once and they're overlaping.

*(Posted 2007) [#30]
im importing minib3d.bmx into my file and from there it just chucks up loads of errors.

heres the code:
Import "../Minib3d-v042/minib3d.bmx"

Graphics3D 640, 480, 32

Repeat
   UpdateWorld
   RenderWorld
   Flip
Until Keydown( KEY_ESCAPE )=1

This chucks up an error in TMesh, Duplicate identifier 'i'.

*(Posted 2007) [#31]
Fixed it, forgot to delete the previous one from the mods directory. Always thought that an imported source file would 'override' the modules.