LoadBSP would be nice

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/LoadBSP would be nice

Neochrome(Posted 2007) [#1]
Before i buy BlitzMax, its got absolutly wonderful potential problem is, the mini3D lacks stuff i kinda would love to use... q3maps or BSPs

while im at it though im looking for the Module that FMOD was written for Max 1.18 not for 1.24... my friend lent me his copy of Bmax and id like to buy it, but i wanna see if i can produce something substantial with it... im thinking of re-writing my dance mat game usine BM!

thanks in advance

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#2]
u can buy the bm b3dsdk which has it.

JaviCervera(Posted 2007) [#3]
But it doesn't have Mac / Linux portability...

Vertex(Posted 2007) [#4]
Thats the Q3 BSP code of my old engine:

The gamma setting in this code is wrong. Many times later I've found a ?original? code by Carmack:

So the original gamma correction is based on the HSV Lighting Model.

Q3_POLYGON and Q3_MESH faces are easy bring in to MiniB3D Surfaces. Q3_PATCHES are Bi Quad Patches that needs a tesselation by giving control points. Blitz3D have a fixed tesselation value, but I hope, MiniB3D will have an extra parameter like LoadBSP:TQ3Map(URL:OBject, Gamma:Float=0.0, Tesselation:Int=4).

The challenge to render Q3 Maps is the BSP algorithm. You have to detect in what leaf is the camera(using point to plane computions) and render only these faces, that is joined with the VIS Data for a leaf.

I don't know if there is a clever way to use TMesh and TSurface or using a slim version for rendering to bring up more render performence(becouse, there is no shader, brush, cubemap and etc. stuff needed)

cu olli

Neochrome(Posted 2007) [#5]
Nice one! though im very new to BM so i dont know weather id grasp the Leaf coding! :(

will this BM code loading the lightmaps too?

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#6]
Dont you need to pay to use BSP commercially?

deps(Posted 2007) [#7]
Only if you used the qtradiant editor to make the maps, I think. There was a discussion about this a couple of years ago in the irrlicht forums.

Sledge(Posted 2007) [#8]
GTKRadiant has been open sourced under GPL for a while -- I'm sure id would take your money if you offered, but it no longer appears to be required.