TFastSprite not released, right?

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/TFastSprite not released, right?

Pragun(Posted 2007) [#1]
Klepto hasn't released this, correct? Or is it disguised in the extended version as something else? ANd..as the name implies..it will be faster than regular minib3d sprites hopefully, yes?

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#2]
Well, within my particle module (also released with the latest extended Version) is currently only a single surface sprite system which maybe used for this. In fact the TFastSprite or in openGL terms point sprites aren't released yet.

And hopefully they will be faster but I don't know exactly. At least the vertex count per Sprite will be quatered ;)

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#3]
Most likely they are not faster I fear ...

At least on GF 7600 and 8800 they are on the same speed as if you use s simple single surface sprite system.
Seems like the bandwidth of todays GPU outperforms the no gain of point sprites. But might have to do with the fact that point sprites only allow very small particles and the rest is replaced with quads if it is set to a larger radius then the point sprite max (which was not even next to anywhere usefull for 3D on my 7600. radius << 5.0)

the only way to really gain performance are VBO + vertex shader or something similar that removes the need of transfering anything ...

Pragun(Posted 2007) [#4]
thanks klepto + dreamora =)
was trying some funky stuff, but the entire game runs slower w/particles in minib3d than just regular sprites in blitzmax...here's a screenshot (it's not that exciting):