Some Ideas about miniB3D

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Some Ideas about miniB3D

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#1]
Take a look at this:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=8309&log=1439

It explains some thoughts how to optimize miniB3D or better some Ideas I had and which I will implement and try out.
The first step was already made:
I have taken out the RenderCamera Function out of miniB3D and put it into an extendable TSceneManager type. First test with dividing the scene into 16 boxes (no octree, but thats the goal) gave promising results.

What do you think about these ideas?

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#2]
you could create miniB3D using the OGRE rendering engine. wrap OGRE and then access the OGRE internals via b3d-like commands...

LAB[au](Posted 2007) [#3]
Culling is a good start but Octree serves mostly huge static mesh, LOD solves other problems, the 2 are complementary ... but I don't see how it would be superior to frustum culling in the case of 5000 entities, or maybe I don't picture quite right these 5000 entities, and I am not a expert.

What I personally miss in miniB3D ext is Pre/Post FX integration (aka Blur/Glow or pixel shader driven), support for a file format that would have "simple" vertex animation (Collada ...), and a good library of standard shaders!

slenkar(Posted 2007) [#4]
probably best to give the option for frustum culling or not, I dont ever make games with more than 200 entities in the world at a time.

AdrianT(Posted 2007) [#5]
@bradford6, were going to have a proper ogre3d in Bmax release in the not to distant future. Even works with maxGUI if you want, and comes with a Scene editor and everything.