Klepto's TFastSprite?

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Klepto's TFastSprite?

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2007) [#1]
I have massive terrains that use viewmode 4 sprites for trees. When I have 1000+ trees it really eats out my FPS.

Will TFastSprite support viewmode 4? Will it radically improve sprite performance? Or should I perhaps look for other solution for my trees?

-AF

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#2]
In fact the TFastSprite will not be able to be used for billboards like trees, as it is based on the GL_POINT_SPRITE and this is always rotated to the camera and there is currently no way to turn this behaviour off.

But one solution is to use the singlesurface sprite system I'm
working on together with my particle system and to apply VBO on it this should make it damn fast and framerate should firstly drop at around 5000+trees (hopefully, not tested).

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#3]
this is further proof that Klepto2 is not human. He is a genetically modified coding machine. :)

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2007) [#4]
I have to agree. This forum / community is blessed to have people like klepto.

-AF

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2008) [#5]
But one solution is to use the singlesurface sprite system I'm
working on together with my particle system and to apply VBO on it this should make it damn fast and framerate should firstly drop at around 5000+trees (hopefully, not tested).

What's the situation regarding this?

I have been away from MiniB3D for a while and I am not sure if I have missed something.

What would currently be the best way to have thousands of trees?

klepto2(Posted 2008) [#6]
currently I'm integrating a nice new Terrainsystem with a layered Entity structure. In detail: the Terrain is culled via a Quadtree and so you're able to assign Entities directly to the Terrain Quadtree as layers (eg: trees or grass) these Entities are excluded from the common culling routines of minib3d and instead they are only culled by the Quadtree. So instead of testing 1000s of individual entities only a few quads are testet.

Maybe a small pic shows more than thousand words ;) . Keep in mind that these trees are procedural generated,fully animated and bumpmapped. Also the integration is not optimized in any matter:

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#7]
so instead of testing each tree individually you test groups of trees

pretty good

are also culling extra terrain polygons?

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2008) [#8]
Looks really good klepto!

So at the moment I should make all the trees within a single surface and then VBO it?

What if I'd like to have billboard trees? Wouldn't I have to adjust rotations of all individuals trees "by hand" every time camera moves or rotates?