stuttering

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/stuttering

*(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi,
im trying to create a Elite Multiplayer client using MiniB3d and BlitzMax however on initial tests with 200 stars and one ship rotating in the center it stutters about once every two seconds.

The specs of the system are:Via C7-M 1.5Ghz processor, 256Mb ram, S3 Unichrome Pro graphics 32Mb, Windows XP Home with all the updates.

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#2]
We will probably need to know more about your program...

How does the net code work? Are you sure that the problem is not the net code? (Can you turn off networking and still get a stutter?).

simonh(Posted 2007) [#3]
Might be the GC...does it happen if you turn it off?

ima747(Posted 2007) [#4]
do demos run smoothly? Check for running programs...

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#5]
I definitly bet on bad openGL support by the Gfx Card (seems very low end).

*(Posted 2007) [#6]
Mr. Pickesworth: there is no netcode yet its just a graphics test with two hundred stars and a Cobra Mk3.

Could be a bad GL driver as the graphics only work in 32bit in 16bit it looks like its updating to front buffer only.

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#7]
The Current ATI Driver is this:
Catalyst® 7.3 Display Driver for Windows XP
is that the driver you have?
might be a driver issue?

*(Posted 2007) [#8]
the graphics card is a S3 unichrome Pro and not an ATI. I got the laptop as its the one with most of the hardware that most people buy computers with today, this way I know most of me games will run on most peoples computers :)

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#9]
The problem is that the unichrome card was developed for DX7 without T&L and this stuff. So I fear this card is the bottleneck ;)

*(Posted 2007) [#10]
yeah guessed as much, seems im limited on the minib3d front :\

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#11]
consider this an opportunity to get a laptop with a good videocard :)