Terrain?

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Terrain?

WildStorm(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi, just a small question.
Will the Terrain/Heightmap-stuff be implemented in MiniB3D? Or is the only way a Meshterrain?

simonh(Posted 2007) [#2]
I'll probably add a simplistic terrain system (no LOD), but anything more complex is unlikely to be added for a while.

impixi(Posted 2007) [#3]
There was a MiniB3d thread some months ago related to mesh terrains: here

fredborg posted a useful LoadTerrain function in that thread. I’ve been meaning to modify his code to incorporate some sort of LOD system (‘chunking’, perhaps), but I just don’t know if that will be enough… If I can get motivated I'll do some experiments and post my results here.

impixi(Posted 2007) [#4]
Okay, before I try anything, can somebody please explain to me why the following Blitz3D code is ten times faster than the equivalent BlitzMax + MiniB3d code when rendering a mesh? (You’ll need to provide a heightmap and a texture).

Blitz3D:

BlitzMax + MiniB3D:

128x128 heightmap gives me:

* Blitz3D: 700 fps approx
* BlitzMax + MiniB3D: 75 fps approx

System Specs: 1.6Ghz Centrino, 512MB ram, 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X700

Debug and Release display the same speed difference.

Is it a DirectX vs OpenGL issue? MiniB3D’s architecture cannot handle large meshes as efficiently as Blitz3D? Am I doing something stupid?

simonh(Posted 2007) [#5]
Probably a vertex buffer thing. MiniB3D doesn't yet use these, B3D does, and Kelpto's version does.

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#6]
yeah:
128 * 128 = 16 384

that is alot of vertices/polys to render from main mem i guess.
when klepto releases a new version (after easter break) we'll try a VBO version.

as for Terrain LOD algorithms, I think Blitz3D's is based on ROAM ? (i remember that from 4-5 years ago so my memory might be wrong)

http://www.cognigraph.com/ROAM_homepage/

impixi(Posted 2007) [#7]
Ah well, I suppose I need to wait then. I did try an earlier version of klepto2's extended version but it kept crashing when loading larger heightmaps (>=256x256), so I suppose some sort of 'chunking' system will be required in any case...

Thanks for the link bradford6.

impixi(Posted 2007) [#8]
Actually, I might be able to code a terrain chunking system in MiniB3d as it is now. It handles meshes generated from 64x64 heightmaps without problems. (Not as fast as Blitz3d, but close : both are > 800 fps)... We'll see...

impixi(Posted 2007) [#9]
Here are the results of my 'chunking' experiment:

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#10]
Nice piece of code impixi :)

I have modified it a bit to get it work with VBOs and thats my results:

Without VBOs: ~350 FPS
With VBO: ~950FPS

If you agree I will add this to my next release, as it is really clean written and it seems very extendable.

impixi(Posted 2007) [#11]
Without VBOs: ~350 FPS
With VBO: ~950FPS

Heh, those VBOs seem like useful things! :)

If you agree I will add this to my next release,

Sure, go for it.

Probably the most significant missing items are:

* TerrainY() method - for use in entity placement.
* PreLoadTexture method – for use in real-time texture changes.
* Collision-related methods.

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#12]
I have also tried to implement some frustum culling, which pushes the fps again up to 1000 fps with VBOs and a tarrain map of 512*512.

If you have my module, you could test the VBOs yourself:

Change your createChunk method abit:
UpdateNormals mesh
mesh.UpdateBuffer()		
		Return Mesh

And it should compile.

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#13]
[necro]
@impixi>>your LoadMeshTerrain() procedure/function produces a terrain which is inverted on the z axis...
[/necro]