B3D Exporter for Maya ...

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/B3D Exporter for Maya ...

necky(Posted 2007) [#1]
Howdy!
I'm in the middle of writting an B3D exporter for Maya. I've got as far as stripping out all of the relevant information from my model in Maya and am now in the process of exporting it. But I've hit an uber early problem, here it is.

See these hex numbers below:

(42 42 33 44 ) ( 18 1f 01 00 ) ( 02 00 00 00 )

As you can see I've split them up into 3 chunks.

The first set of numbers are the "BB3D" tag, the last sets of number are the Version number.

My question is what do the middle set of numbers do?? I can't seem to find any documentation that explains it, and that includes the ones on this webpage. Any help here would be a very handy indeed. :)

SausageOfDoom(Posted 2007) [#2]
How did you get on with this exporter? I'd be interested to know as I am a Maya user. (currently using Maya 8.5)

jhocking(Posted 2007) [#3]
Yeah I would love a maya exporter too. Years ago I started to write one and then gave up (I got as far as exporting the mesh but couldn't figure out how to export texture coordinates); now there's a robust way to go from Maya to b3d via Ultimate Unwrap, but that's not much help on a Mac.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#4]
if you have ultimate unwrap 3d they have added a maya exporter for version 8 and 8.5

jhocking(Posted 2007) [#5]
boy I wish there was a Delete button

SausageOfDoom(Posted 2007) [#6]
SO, what's the score? Is there actually a B3d exporter for Maya, or one in the pipeline?

Wayne(Posted 2007) [#7]
Would this method convert Maya asci to .b3d ?
Would this method convert Maya asci to .b3d using b3d, and would that be useful to Mac ?

smilertoo(Posted 2007) [#8]
doesn't seem much point since ultimate unwrap does it.

jhocking(Posted 2007) [#9]
Sometimes I get yelled at for quoting my own posts, but if people actually read the thread then I wouldn't ever need to do so.
now there's a robust way to go from Maya to b3d via Ultimate Unwrap, but that's not much help on a Mac.

SausageOfDoom(Posted 2007) [#10]
Oh sorry. I take it Ultimate Unwrap can load Maya format then?

Okay, will try it out. I'm normally wary about installing loads of different software to get to where I wanna be, but if it works, then cool :)

Wayne(Posted 2007) [#11]
I'll check the exporter I'm using Necky and see if I can identify the bytes. The stuff you show doesn't match the BRL documantation.

This a B3d file your creating or something your examining?

I'd be happy to help if someone sent me a Maya Ascii file with texture(s).

SausageOfDoom(Posted 2007) [#12]
Well, what can I say? Ultimate Unwrap FTW!

Excellent, I downloaded the plug-in for 8.5 and it worked wonderfully.

When I loaded the exported data into Ultimate Unwrap, I was presented with an untextured version of Zim Alien running on the spot (Zim Alien just being a test model for now).

I then realised the textures weren't in the same folder as the u3d export. Once I put it in the same folder, the textures worked fine in Ultimate Unwrap.

What a class piece of software. I will defo be buying the full version. I think all my needs are met! Assuming the full version WILL let me export to a format with animations that I CAN use with Blitz3D.

I am a noob, so please bear with me. I take it B3d format does allow anims, doesn't it? hehe Don't shoot me, we are all wet behind the ears at some point :)

Oh, the only thing I think the exporter is missing is blendshape support. Not that I envisage the use of blendshapes for a while.

Very impressive though. Big thumbs up.

SausageOfDoom(Posted 2007) [#13]
I may have spoke to soon (okay, typed too soon!).

I now have the full version of Ultimate Unwrap3D Pro and have tried exporting my char (Zim Alien for now) as .3ds, .B3D and .X format and I get the error:

Entity does not exist

..when I try to load and display that char. I only get this error with any files I have exported from Ultimate Unwrap3d.

If I swap the mesh to another pre-existing mesh (residing in the same folder as the source code, as are my Unwrap3d exports too), it works.

So, it seems I only get the error with anything I export with Ultimate Unwrap3d.

I just wondered if anyone else has encountered this problem. It could be a support issue with the makers of Unwrap3d, but I just wanted to check here first to see if anyone else has had this. If so, is it something I am doing silly?

The code is basically the example code with Blitz3d:

---------------------------------
Graphics3D 640,480

SetBuffer BackBuffer()

camera=CreateCamera()

light=CreateLight()

RotateEntity light,90,0,0

; Load mesh
zimchar=LoadMesh("zim.b3d")

PositionEntity zimchar,0,0,MeshDepth(zimchar)*2

While Not KeyDown( 1 )

RenderWorld

Flip

Wend

End

-----------------------

I DO have all my source, images and exports in the same folder.

Any ideas?

SausageOfDoom(Posted 2007) [#14]
Me again...

Okay, I can get the thing to run if I used specific paths in the LoadMesh line.

However, I thought that wasn't required? I thought I could just have everything in the same folder? Hmm... I'm confused.

Anyway, this works, but I don't like it.

zimchar=LoadMesh( "C:/-CODING-/blitz3dstuff/boxingarena/zim.b3d" )

smilertoo(Posted 2007) [#15]
try using loadanimmesh if you want it animated

jhocking(Posted 2007) [#16]
That is a weird problem. Not that this really helps you any, but to help others if they are wondering note that I am not having the problem he described with animated b3d models exported from Maya via Ultimate Unwrap.

SausageOfDoom(Posted 2008) [#17]
I've managed to have some joy with it. It's all working fine and dandy. I still need to use a full path for some reason though.