How fast is MiniB3D?

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/How fast is MiniB3D?

Pinete(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi all,
I've been reading some posts and maybe it has been answered before, so sorry if it did, but I would like to know if possible how fast is Minib3d in comparison with Blitz3D.

Thanks in advance!

regards!

H&K(Posted 2007) [#2]
About 66% (ish depending)

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#3]
it really depends. it is faster with some things and slower with others.

Simon is working on collisions, visibility stuff and other things.

Klepto has added shader support and Vertex buffers (which increases the speed of static geometry quite a bit if your vid-card supports it)

also, minib3d is 100% faster on Linux and MAC's than blitz3D.

Gavin Beard(Posted 2007) [#4]
@bradford6 - also, minib3d is 100% faster on Linux and MAC's than blitz3D.
LOL, i'd say infinitly faster mr

LeisureSuitLurie(Posted 2007) [#5]
Hey! We Mac guys could play the games in emulators...with software rendering...so its probably only 100x faster.

Buggy(Posted 2007) [#6]
So do you guys think it's fast enough to create a game with? I don't have BMax, but the main reason I'd want it is for it's multi-platform support, so would I be able to create a multi-platform 3D game with MiniB3D?

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#7]
Depends on what kind of game, really. Who is your target audience? Do you expect someone to be running the game who has a really weak old computer? What kind of graphics do you plan to be pushing out?

simonh(Posted 2007) [#8]
Yes it should be fast enough for most games, it's fast enough for my own game anyway.

ima747(Posted 2007) [#9]
As with any game system you may have to optomize some things and certain things will be hardware dependent as far as how much you can push at once, but so far I haven't come across a problem minib3d couldn't handle as long as it has features that support it. If not, look into klepto2's extended version with more fancy bells and whistles.

Buggy(Posted 2007) [#10]
So... a little off topic... you suggest that it might not have the same features as Blitz3D. What are some things that MiniB3D can't do?

ima747(Posted 2007) [#11]
there is a list with minib3d of all the functions that are currently missing compared to Blitz3D. Besides audio I don't believe there's anything really important (atleast not for anything I'd use it for). The main things it's missing are things that blitz3d doesn't do either, like shaders and such. But that's why Klepto2 has his extended version...

Buggy(Posted 2007) [#12]
And what is this extended version? Is it free? What can it do?

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#13]
MiniB3D extended

Banshee(Posted 2007) [#14]
I've just written my first MiniB3D application (www.bansheestudios.com). More of a 'lets try this thing' than a full on game, it's for previewing skins for a game - so you save the file and apply the skin and every time you save an update the skin (texture) is reloaded in the viewer as a preview of how it will look in the game.

I found some problems in that the program intermittently crashes when free'ing an entity that has a second texture layer applied - i've looked and looked and am not convinced the problem lies in my code yet - but i've not managed to reach a conclusion so far.

On performace i'd say there is a noticeable difference between how my application performs on my PC compared to my Mac. Yes my PC is faster (although comparably priced), however it still runs fine on an old G5 Power Mac (alas, i've nothing older to test on any more).

My conclusion is that MiniB3D is an excellent third party open source 3D engine - but I wouldn't be attempting a full computer game in it yet, MiniB3D not really a substitute for 'the real thing' if ever the 'real thing' turns out to be 'real' :)...

Your best bet though is to give it a try. If you've used B3D then you will find this surprisingly easy. The only real difference shows up if you use strict - because then you have to specify the TMesh/TEntity/TTexture all the time.