Official logo

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Official logo

*(Posted 2007) [#1]
Just a thought, will minib3d have an official logo at some point rather like Blitz3d's blitz logo?

At least when something is done using minib3d we could then whack the made with Minib3d logo in the game somewhere :)

RiK(Posted 2007) [#2]
Surely as it's just a library used by max then the thing to do would be to use the BlitzMax logo?

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#3]
I think miniB3D has earned the right to an official logo. I hereby offer anyone who submits the winning logo exactly one half can of beer. The best part is that you get to choose which half!

EDIT: here are all my entries. From first try to last.

this one is particularly heinous:

I thought this was pretty good. A little too bright perhaps,

This was bad:

I kinda liked this one, but way too busy to be a good logo.

This I think is my best one. Still a bit to cartoony though.

and here is my very latest minib3d logo.

Overall, I feel I had a good showing but d-bug's design is just plain fantastic.

d-bug(Posted 2007) [#4]
*plopp*

klepto2 asked me to do that...

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#5]
ooh. that's nice.

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#6]

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#7]
oooh.. I like d-bug's version.. :)

Ricky Smith(Posted 2007) [#8]
The logo idea is fine but the problem I see is the connotations of the word "mini". It implies a subset, smaller or less complete version of something else.
Given that miniB3D now has pretty much the whole command set of Blitz3D - plus the power,interoperabilty and OOP features of BlitzMax I think that miniB3D should be renamed to maxB3D (not to be confused with BlitzMax3D) - it deserves to be promoted !

In any case I would be happy just using the BlitzMax logo , as has been suggested. It is BlitzMax after all.

Synchronist(Posted 2007) [#9]
It implies a subset, smaller or less complete version of something else.

Interesting point...

simonh(Posted 2007) [#10]
Nice logo d-bug!

Change the name to maxb3d? Hmmmm, I must admit, it does sound better...

Vertex(Posted 2007) [#11]
Yes, d-bug, it is simple and nice!

Yan(Posted 2007) [#12]
Well, I like Bill's second attempt, even if no one else seems to. ;o/

d-bug(Posted 2007) [#13]
Thank you all.

5 Minutes for me, and for you ? ;)

muhahaha

H&K(Posted 2007) [#14]
Nar,
Mini implies small or compact. Keep it as mini.

Or if we are going to vote for a change GLB3D (OpenGLB3D) to go with IrrB3D (IrrlichtD3B)

Oh and I prefer dbugs

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#15]
Nice work d-bug!

I vote for 'mini' too - sounds cuter, and it's not like there are sales at sake or anything.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#16]
d-bugs is good, but I prefer Bill's 2nd attempt - maybe minus the yellow and red balls. For some reason your images don't automatically download at this end - I have to follow the link.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#17]
@d-bug

Can we have a version with the "mini" (or Max) above the B3D to make a square texture. (To put on the spinny cube tutorial) ;)

Amon(Posted 2007) [#18]
I know it as miniB3D and don't want that to change.

I like d-bug's logo but bradford6's are good also.

:)

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#19]
.moved all images to earlier post.

WendellM(Posted 2007) [#20]

I can't see any of bradford6's images (I get broken image icons in both Firefox and IE6), so I can't comment on them. I like d-bug's; it reminds me a little bit of:

"My mind is going, I can feel it. Daisy, Daisy, give me..."
Unhandled Exception: "Daisy" not found.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2007) [#21]
Very nice logos guys. If I had to choose one it would be the most minimalistic - d-bug's.

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#22]
I think I fixed the image tags for those who could not see my logos.

Ok, d-bug which half of that beer do you want then?

I vote for your design. minimalistic and nice. I am still working on another one though...

anyone else like to submit something?

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#23]
I think I fixed the image tags for those who could not see my logos.

Still fails... but if I copy/paste into a new browser window, everything is fine. Maybe your server prohibits cross-linked images?

Personally I prefer D-bug's images over the others.

ckob(Posted 2007) [#24]
MaxB3D sounds the best and I like d-bugs the most it's something I would throw on a credits screen or splash screen.

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#25]

WendellM(Posted 2007) [#26]
I can see 'em now, bill, thanks. That latest one seems to fit in with the look of the other BRL logos pretty well, so it's good from that angle. However, since this isn't an official BRL product (that's still that case, isn't it?), maybe d-bug's different approach would be better to avoid confusion. Your logos certainly underwent a positive evolution in this thread, though.

Oh, and as for the name, I'd say that "MiniB3D" would avoid the inevitable confusion between "MaxB3D" and the upcoming "Max3D." Certainly MiniB3D is full-featured by B3D standards, but Max3D will presumably be a lot more capable (and also presumably require a higher-level graphics card). So, at that point, the Mini/Max terms will apply well. That's my view, anyway.

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#27]
"Mini" certainly does not mean weaker. It means simple, intuitive, efficient and quiet :)
(Fits in perfectly with the underlying sense of B3D).

Besides, MaxB3D sounds way too much like Max3D!

d-bug(Posted 2007) [#28]
@all
Thank you again!

@H&K
Maybe this will break the design, but I will have a look at it.

@bradford6
Nice logos so far... Keep your beer, I don't like it at all! ;)
(A german that doesn't drink beer? wtf?)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#29]
I'd go with D-bugs.

Logo's should be minimalistic and able to be reproduced in Black and White where possible, but since I seriously doubt these are going to ever be faxed, I don't think it really matters here.

They';re all pretty nice.

BTW, Keep it MiniB3D.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2007) [#30]

"Mini" certainly does not mean weaker. It means simple, intuitive, efficient and quiet.

Not according to the English Dictionary.
I agree that the perceived meaning, by those who know what miniB3D is, may be as you suggest but a logo is meant to convey the message to those that don't know.
The word "mini" to Joe Public will always mean a lesser version of something else no matter how its redressed.
I certainly wouldn't put a logo on a game I produced with "mini" in it - but that's just me.

d-bug(Posted 2007) [#31]
Hm, I really don't like the texture thing, but here we go:

The origiginal logo above is btw 512x256.
This one has 256x256.

Fitting the size completly will look like stretched. Very ugly :/

Ah, btw, please keep miniB3D. It sounds better to me.

cheers

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#32]
@ d-bug. I don't drink beer either. Haven't for years. I'll send you 1/2 a rootbeer :)

After much deliberation, I think miniB3D is a great name for the module. After all Blitz3D is a complete language. miniB3D handles the 3D entity system specifically.

it also has a nice ring to it and is cute.

'mini' makes me think 'small and efficient' not 'weak'

altitudems(Posted 2007) [#33]
I would say that d-bug's logo is easily the best so far. I am not a fan of "Photoshoped" logos. And even the "aqua" effect bothers me. So here is some competition. This was created as vector so it can be resized without degradation. Everyone seems to like containment here.

Edit:
Here is another version in case it clashes with your themes background.

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#34]
good one altitudems.

Nennig(Posted 2007) [#35]
I like very much d-bug's logo.

*(Posted 2007) [#36]
I like d-bug's logo too

I would also agree that 'mini' makes it sound efficient as in compiles to smaller exe's, or an engine with a smaller memory footprint than Blitz3d's DX7 engine :)

Suco-X(Posted 2007) [#37]
I'd prefer D-Bugs logo. Looks simple but modern. So it's perfect for a good 3D engine like MiniB3D. Good work bug.

Filax(Posted 2007) [#38]
I vote D-Bugs

hub(Posted 2007) [#39]
I vote D-Bugs too.

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#40]
I compiled all my entries into a single post. I have to agree that d-bug's is the best so far.

not too late for another contender...

altitudems(Posted 2007) [#41]
Ok, ok filters you want, filters you get.

Yan(Posted 2007) [#42]
Here's a quickie...

Just to make up the numbers more than anything.

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#43]
now we're talkin.

Altitudems is very swanky

Yan. Nice one too. Looks like a Vehicle Badge.
' the 2007 Chrysler miniB3D, in showrooms now'

d-bug(Posted 2007) [#44]
Hm?
Has the contest ended?
No one else interested in a half can of rootbeer?
Whats up over here?

Let me see some more action here, please! ;)

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#45]
ok. I am working on another one. I'll post later tonight. (movie nite with the family)

fredborg(Posted 2007) [#46]
I win! Yay!

North(Posted 2007) [#47]

Had a whirl

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#48]
North. I started on mine 2 hours ago (but stopped production to watch a movie with the kids) Wow. the similarities are striking! You posted first so I will move on to another idea.

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#49]
So, when does somebody win? :b

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#50]
d-bug wins! Congratulations d-bug. you're logo is fantastic. I am not Sure if Simon will use it (or if you will give him the rights to use it) but you nevertheless get 0.5 of my rootbeer.

seriously. your design is very nice.

Even though d-bug wins, I would still like to see other logos.

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#51]
I do quite like Altitudem's latest logos. That is probably because I've been using Ubuntu primarily for the last week, so I've become quite used to that same style on all my icons...

d-bug(Posted 2007) [#52]
I'm a bit tired of that "tango!"-style from Altitudem's logo. Sorry for that, but I had to do tons of gfx in "tango!" last year, so I can't see them anymore.

@bradford6
Thank you again! Why should I do a miniB3D logo, when I don't want it to be used?

cheers

altitudems(Posted 2007) [#53]
Congrats d-bug!

Could you explain what "tango!" style is? I'm curious.

d-bug(Posted 2007) [#54]
@altitudems
Thank you!

Tango is the Ubuntu icon style. The colors of your logo fit their conventions perfectly.

Difference(Posted 2007) [#55]
You guys should stop by http://www.silo3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6718 before you decide. There's so much more that can be done.

Yan(Posted 2007) [#56]
But wouldn't that involve...<*GULP*>...effort?...<*SHUDDER*>...

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#57]
those are great and all, but none of them say 'miniB3D' so they are immediatley disqualified. (j/k)

Personally, I think d-bugs logo is better than the silo ones.

I agree that we should continue to add entries. besides being fun, I am learning alot.

d-bug(Posted 2007) [#58]
Arg, bradford6, don't be silly... Some of those Silo-logos are very professional. Ok, I do that GFX-Shit about 20 years, but I'm still far away from that quality some of that Silo-logos have. Amazing skillz over there!

cheers

kronholm(Posted 2007) [#59]
I like d-bug's so far the best.

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#60]
I appreciate your humility d-bug. I think that some of the more 'professional' ones suffer from their complexity. Your logo may not have the advanced design elements of the others, but I think it's simplicity is 99% of it's charm.