splash screen

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/splash screen

Gavin Beard(Posted 2007) [#1]
hi all, lookin at creating a simple sample using minib3d with a splash screen that fades between 2 image, cant figure the best way to do it, is it to create a quad and texture it (do same for both images) then fade one out and fade other in? or is there better way?

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#2]
EDIT: Modified to fill the screen
You could use a sprite and adjust the alpha.

grab these images (save link as):
www.bmaxbook.com/splash1-1024.jpg
www.bmaxbook.com/splash2-1024.jpg

and run this file:

Gavin Beard(Posted 2007) [#3]
Cheers bradford6,

Images in post dont seem to exist but i can knock up some images to test when i get home, does this fill the screen up tho??

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#4]
just do a 'save as' on the 2 images.

they are 512x512 but you can either scale them to fit the screen or load a screensized image.

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#5]
OK,
I just changed it to fill the screen. both images are 1024x768. this will load that size sprite and display it unaltered in the full frame.

I am not 100% sure but I think some videocards can't handle textures that big.

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#6]
here's another one. a little different

Gavin Beard(Posted 2007) [#7]
thx man, ure a diamond, have a virtual pint on me :-)

*EDIT: just wondering if it'd be easierto do title screen with max2d commands then switch over to minib3d? althought he first method above looks very simple

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#8]
you could do it either way. MAX2D would probably be easier but with miniB3D you could do some 3D stuff in there as well. like have the image wave like a flag or spin around.

the other thing to note is that you might not need to make the image full-frame to get the desired result. you could center a smaller image

Gavin Beard(Posted 2007) [#9]
Yes, i think i'll go withminib3d seems as it saves swapping between modules etc. thru out the project.

Shall see how well it works when i get out of hell and home tonight