MiniB3D

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/MiniB3D

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#1]
I was wondering how far on this is, is it able to handle loading in some of my old B3D projects to port them to Max ? and is there any speed increases to be had by doing this ?

Thanks in Advance, not really been blitz active for a long time so if this has already been posted I do apologise.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#2]
Wondering the same. I'm not so bothered about porting old code from BB3D but I'd hate to start writing a game only to find that vital features are missing.

I don't think MiniB3D is cross platform though, is it?

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#3]
Some features of MiniB3D:
- fully Crossplattform
- B3D Model Loading (extended Version: + 3DS + MD2)
- Collisions
- and nearly most Commands of B3D are already converted

The speed is hardly depending from your graphics hardware and drivers. Some people (like me) some samples runs faster then the b3d ones and for some people it is slower. The main reason
is maybe the lack of good OpenGL Drivers or the early stage of minib3d (speed optmizing is only done in a rudimentary way).
Some people are already doing a lot of stuff (writeing whole games) with minib3d.

For my part I think miniB3D has already everything a user may need to convert from B3D to MiniB3D.

PS: my extended Version already support the usage of
- VBO (Vertex buffer Objects - big speed increase for highpoly surfaces)
- GLSL Shaders
- static 3DS loader
- MD2 Loader
- Max2D support

Currently 'working on' features:
- Stencil Shadows (ZPass and ZFail(ZFail a bit buggy)
- Physic Integration due to implementing NewtonSDK on an abstract layer (crossplattform already tested)
- Shader based PostFX

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#4]
of course MiniB3D is crossplatform, it's true OpenGL. And yes, MiniB3D ist actually very fast, people having B3D stated that MiniB3D in many cases was even faster than B3D. As for the command set, download MiniB3D and have a look at the commands.htm. Porting is very simple, have a look at the included examples. There are a few quirks, so be sure to read the readme.txt thoroughly ;) but nothing really serious. Any bugs are fixed very fast and it's getting better and better. Have a try, you will be delighted :)

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#5]
thats for the feed back, I must have posted this in the wrong place cos the topic got moved, didnt realise this had a forum of its own that in itself shows just how good it must be.