minib3d mac /linux

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/minib3d mac /linux

Panno(Posted 2007) [#1]
can anyone say me the fps from this :
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=66821

mac and linux user ??? and whats your GFX /CPU ?

many thx

mfg

ps. i wonder the speed of minib3d and if minib3d fast enough i drop my current project with b3d and go to minib3d

Dirk Krause(Posted 2007) [#2]
To my surprise it ran on my Mac - and the verdict is not bad!

In Debug Mode it had around 10, non-debug it had around 35 to 40 FPS.

This is a pleasant surprise on an quite old 400 Mhz G4 running Mac OSX 10.3.9 with 192 MB SDRAM.

It ran on BlitzMax 1.18.

Panno(Posted 2007) [#3]
wow

35 fps with 400 MHZ G4 cool

i have "only" 156 fps (flip(0) ) with a 2 GHZ CPU and a 6200 gforce and xp

thx dirk

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#4]
Hehe... I've always just been under the assumption that it works cross-platform merely because it is using BlitzMax's OpenGL... I never thought to actually check. Good idea!
Glad to see confirmation :)
(I wonder if you're the first one?)

Pretty darn fast, too!
I'm using a 500 mHz Linux thing right now, and it used to have an integrated 3D-capable graphics card, but I don't think I trust it anymore.
I guess I'll try it, though...

Panno(Posted 2007) [#5]
go go go

Chris C(Posted 2007) [#6]
I'm getting *very* good speeds using Linux with a gf6600 and a 3ghx celeron

typically less than 25% cpu at 60fps with a large landscape (with octree) and 50-100 simple objects...

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#7]
Okay, here it is with Ubuntu Linux, Feisty Fawn Herd 2 (7.04 development version):

I get an incredibly blurry image containing a black background and what looks like a single cube drawn in the scene. I can move the mouse around, but that cube is all there is to see. (Though it is definitely drawn in 3D!)
The text is all drawn fine, though it is blurry. I think that it says 4 frames per second through the blurriness, but it feels like more given how nicely the controls are working.

Of course, this is all actually pretty good, considering the specs on this thing!
-185.7 MB of RAM. (I even got out of memory errors when it was compiling with debug mode).
-Celeron (Medocino) processor, approximately 450-500 mHz. (I believe it has been overclocked to some extent).
-Intel i810 integrated graphics.

Pretty old school, eh? ( All in the wrong way :( )

This is just about the only 3d app that starts up without crashing and manages to run in a way that makes some sense :b

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#8]
Aha!

Okay, I've gotten to the bottom of my weird problem where the scene had nothing in it. The problem was simply that "media" was actually called "Media". Changing that caused everything to load properly.
Text was still blurry, but the rest of it looked the same as on my decent computer.
It was completely responsive ...or, rather, as responsive as something can possibly get when it's running 30 times slower than it's meant to run :P
(Yep, 2 frames per second).

Dirk Krause(Posted 2007) [#9]
Ah - you saved my evening!

I was trying to find out several times why there's always just a grey box ...

But here it is, working smoothly!

A whooping 60 fps (50 in debug mode) on a Knoppix 5.11 Live DVD (all from the DVD, no installation, hence 'live').

[EDIT] AMD 1,25 GHz, 786 MB RAM, Radeon 9800

degac(Posted 2007) [#10]
Tested on an iBook G3@500 Mhz, 192 MB Ram, Ati Rage m3 8 MB, MacOS X 10.3.9, Bmax 1.24
FPS 5 (Debug mode), 11-15 Normal mode

GA(Posted 2007) [#11]
A nice little demo :)

On a 1.42 Ghz G4 macmini with intergrated grpahics I was getting a steady 60 fps and 33 fps in debug mode.

daaan(Posted 2007) [#12]
Intel Macbook Pro @ 60-61 FPS.

Panno(Posted 2007) [#13]
another question

how much cubes can you create with minimum 35 fps ?

i have 640 cubes with fullscreen 800,600,16,1

this is a 8x8x10 matrix
thx

i build a gamelevel with cubes and hope it run smooth on most pc's