Change visual appearance of mesh

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Change visual appearance of mesh

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi,

is it possible to change the visual appearance of a mesh, like animated textures, glow, animated texture blending...
For example, if one mesh is coming nearer to another, I want them to show it, either having a glow around them in different pulsating colors or having the glow pulsating, or animating the texture, or blending textures over, but all animated.

Is this possible and lite on cpu ressources?

Chris C(Posted 2007) [#2]
You can directly manipulate a mesh's brush's and surface properties.

For example, one of my own tools makes 3d tiles, first I renderworld with the "tile" surface unmodified

then I change cls mode to not clear the screen and not use a z-buffer and hide all entities that don't need a wire frame overlay, I change all the surface properties to use additive mixing and do a renderworld again

(dont forget to put everthing back before the next renderworld!)

have a dig round in the Tmesh and Tsurface objects in kleptos minib3d module, also of help is the b3d file format docs and the b3d online documentation.

using a 3ghz celeron and an nvidia 6600GT I have not noticed any significant increase on my desktops cpu meter even using stupid sized tiles with 20000 triangles, when doing a wireframe overlay.

minib3d v0.4 is quite an improvement I quickly found out!

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thanks, somewhere I read that klepto2 wanted to add shadersupport to minB3D. But your way allows much flexibility , too. Hmmm, will have to do some testing, I should be able to do a fake colored glow with this technique.