MiniB3D V0.4

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/MiniB3D V0.4

simonh(Posted 2007) [#1]
Right, time to draw a line and release V0.4.

The main difference between this and V0.3 is that the collision commands have been added, and there are a few other minor additions like anim frame support.

Collisions were quite a major undertaking as you might expect, which is why this release has taken so long. The collision system is not as fully-featured as B3D's (no box collision), and not as fast, but overall I'm pretty pleased with it. I will endeavour to improve it in future releases, starting with Mark's suggestion of replacing octrees with kd trees.

There are more than likely going to be a few bugs hidden in this release, let me know if you find any. Hopefully future releases won't take so long now, as I don't intend to make any more major additions, just improvements here and there.

Download from www.si-design.co.uk

Kev(Posted 2007) [#2]
looking forward to playing with this simon, many thanks for all the work you put into MiniB3D.

kev

Jan_(Posted 2007) [#3]
looks good, and runs very well

the examples runing with Exactly the same speed, like B3d!
(SIS Graphicscard, 3,06 Pentium, 1GB Ram)

Progi1984(Posted 2007) [#4]
Good job simonh

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#5]
Great work, I love the sliding collisions demo.

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#6]
Excellent work, Simon! :)
(As always)

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#7]
Also congrats for that version :)
Will start to integrate VBO and Shader support now, can't wait to see how fast it will become at the end :)

TheSin(Posted 2007) [#8]
First: great module, superb work (both simon and klepto)

Second: I'm very curious how fast minib3d will become, currently ColdSteel is lightyears ahead :-/

simonh(Posted 2007) [#9]
I'm curious as to how you compared MiniB3D's and ColdSteel's speed.

TheSin(Posted 2007) [#10]
I have some very high poly models and tried them out in both engines using a ego shooter like camera movement. I admit that might not say much about the general speed of both engines but when there are huge amounts of polygons ColdSteel is simply faster (I compared kleptos version to ColdSteel without using octrees for the levelmesh).
But since minib3d is not optimized yet and ColdSteel is based on Irrlicht at its core I can see where the performance increase does come from. That said: minib3d is fast enough! And it's easier to use especially if you come from an Blitz3D background!

*(Posted 2007) [#11]
Woohoo will download it now 8)

The Caffeine Kid(Posted 2007) [#12]
Excellent - congratulations on getting this out the door! :)

Mikele(Posted 2007) [#13]
Thanks Simon!

insomnia(Posted 2007) [#14]
Thank you so much!!!
Great Work!

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#15]
Simon, in the future, please refrain from releasing updates when I am away on tbusiness travel. It is very frustrating to have to wait until I get home to try this out :)

Can't wait!

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#16]
hurray, 'my' bug fixed and so many nice new additions!

Few questions though:

1. What's about the TurnEntity thing, what's different to the B3D command?

2. My B3D demo is coming to an end, but the blob example still doesn't work exactly like the original. Looks a bit like the scaling command within the type behaves differently, my blob are getting smaller and smaller every time I click on a blob-chain. I'll spend some more time, but I slowly come to the conclusion that a command (ScaleEntity?) doesn't behave like in B3D.

3. Great job :)

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#17]
Simon,
Great Job!

The Sliding Collisions demo runs smooth adn fast.

(Code highlighting is very helpful also)

CodeGit(Posted 2007) [#18]
Brilliant......thanks

Amon(Posted 2007) [#19]
Nice. Thanks Simon.

I'd like to ask if MiniB3D is useable to make a complete game. What is missing from it? Would it be a viable choice to start a small project with?

Thanks. :)

TheSin(Posted 2007) [#20]
(Code highlighting is very helpful also)

Yeah, that's a big plus for miniB3D!

@Amon: miniB3D contains most functions of Blitz3D and is very easy to use and quite feature complete compared to Blitz3D. If you want a bit more performance and shader support then I recommend using kleptos version of miniB3D which includes VBO and GLSL support and has volume shadows and after-effects coming as future additions.

simonh(Posted 2007) [#21]
1. What's about the TurnEntity thing, what's different to the B3D command?

Not a lot (MiniB3D's TurnEntity is perfectly useable), but it's not exactly the same. Mess with the Global flags and try adding parents and the behaviour will be different.

I'm working on it now though and I've nearly cracked it.

My B3D demo is coming to an end, but the blob example still doesn't work exactly like the original. Looks a bit like the scaling command within the type behaves differently, my blob are getting smaller and smaller every time I click on a blob-chain. I'll spend some more time, but I slowly come to the conclusion that a command (ScaleEntity?) doesn't behave like in B3D.

Yeah, I see what you mean, I'll look into it. They are meant to get smaller (they do in the B3D version), but in the MiniB3D version they seem to be more bunched together, like the end of a Rattlesnake.

I'd like to ask if MiniB3D is useable to make a complete game. What is missing from it? Would it be a viable choice to start a small project with?

I'd say yes. I am using it to convert my own game to the Mac (which is why I created it in the first place). What's missing? Well, take a look - the bulk of the Blitz3D command set is in place, but a few command sets like terrains are not present.

mongia2(Posted 2007) [#22]
i have a errror with a this example
camera is blocked!

mesh is a simple plain

http://www.mnzdigital.com/mnzsoftware/error_collisions.rar

see this example
i change test3.b3d

mongia

Panno(Posted 2007) [#23]
thx simonH

i have one qustion
all examples flickers in windowed mode if i move the mouse , not so in fullscreen .

the rest runs great :)

FOG example :
b3d 120 Fps
minib3d 180 Fps

Panno(Posted 2007) [#24]
@ mongia2 please use no updateworld

impixi(Posted 2007) [#25]
Impressive, Simon. Thanks.

siread(Posted 2007) [#26]
Since updating I'm unable to load a large texture (a football pitch). It's 2042x2800 and crashes on LoadTexture with an unhandled exception. Smaller textures work fine.

Barbapapa(Posted 2007) [#27]
Didn't want to open a new topic for this.
I was looking for the SetCubeMode Command and saw that the B3D manual states that there are 3 Modes, Mode 1 and 2 work fine, mode 3 (Refraction) seems to be missing? Looked in the source and didn't find mode 3 too.

simonh(Posted 2007) [#28]
siread - it seems your texture was being resized to 4096x4096, which is more than most cards can handle! I've restored the old behaviour now and the texture is resized to 2048x2048.

Barbapapa - no, there's no mode 3 at the moment. I couldn't get it working unfortunately, which is a shame as the effect is rather groovy.

simonh(Posted 2007) [#29]
mongia2 - add 'ResetEntity cam' before the main loop to fix it. Always a good idea to reset entities involved in collisions just after creating them.