updated Bird Demo with Lightmap

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/updated Bird Demo with Lightmap

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#1]
In my attempt to try to learn MiniB3d and Modeling, I took the original canyon model and added a 2nd UV set, created a lightmap and changed (slightly) the bird demo. download it here:

http://www.bmaxbook.com/birdlightmap.zip

let me know what you think (and more importantly) if it runs OK, looks OK on your PC.

impixi(Posted 2007) [#2]
Changing Flip to Flip 0 in both examples yields the following results:

* BirdDemo.bmx 151 fps
* BirdDemo2.bmx 157 fps

No visible problems for BirdDemo2.bmx. Card specs: ATI 256MB Radeon X800GT. (Catalyst drivers 6.11 – NOT the latest)

gman(Posted 2007) [#3]
cool timing on this. looks great and gives me something to test my loader with :) does anyone know, if i were manually adding a lightmap to a mesh, would you do that using brushblend, textureblend or a combination of both? ive been trying all kinds of settings and i cant seem to get it right. i even probed the loaded model from the provided demo and set the blend/fx/flags to the same and still no luck.

thank you.

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#4]
The one in the example is baked into the .b3d file but on another demo i am working on i use this with decent results:

Local lightmap:TTexture = LoadTexture("media/lightmap5b.jpg")
TextureCoords(lightmap,1)
entitytexture mesh,lightmap,0,1

gman(Posted 2007) [#5]
and there you have it! that did the trick. thank you very much :)

impixi(Posted 2007) [#6]
Interesting…

I just ‘upgraded’ my drivers to Catalyst 7.1.

BirdDemo.bmx: 148 to 152 fps.
BirdDemo2.bmx: 148 to 154 fps.

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#7]
I may have shaved a few polys from the original Canyon when I was working on it.

That is interesting though since each frame now has to draw the 512x512 lightmap.

impixi(Posted 2007) [#8]
Whatever the case, good job, bradford6.