Question

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Question

Tricky(Posted 2006) [#1]
Eh... I do have a long project in the planning in which I might be using 3D effects.

Should I use MiniB3D or wait for a Max3D module?

Can I load designs created in Maplet in MB3D? (exported as .X)

And lastly. I see that MiniB3D only supports OpenGL. No problem for my Mac (and perhaps Linux) projects, but MicroSoft has announced to remove OpenGL from Windows. Now I know you can download it from opengl.org (if I haven't mistaken), but do my users know that. I don't expect them to know everything that you and I here know. So how can I get them to install OpenGL without them having shivering in fear. (A lot of people are afraid of software they don't know).

H&K(Posted 2006) [#2]
Right... MiniB3d is just BMax. Ok?

It has nothing more than Bmax already has. All that has happened it that Simon has cleverly written the B3d commands in Bmax. (It isnt even a real mod yet)

Now OpenGL never used to be part of windows, so microsoft removeing it, isnt really that big a deal.

Start you project, paying more attention to the gameplay than the graphics, then if max3d comes out use max 3d, but if it doesnt then keep using minib3d.

I BET YOU that within a mounth of Max3d coming out, no matter what commands it has, someone will have written a wrapper so that it will use the Minib3d (ie B3d) commands

And no one who downloads an Indie game is realy going to need to instal openGL, because they probably will already have dowloaded it. And if not, so what? Things tell me that I need to install loads of things. Wings, dxmedia etc

I get the impression that most people are using MiniB3d as a placeholder, waiting for either a speed increase of MiniB3d (and its fast already), Mark to release Max3d which being in an modern oop can just be wrapped to look like Minib3d, or (like myself) useing an engine that also fakes MiniB3d/b3d (I use Irrlicht IB3d)

Tricky(Posted 2006) [#3]
That placeholder thing is indeed a good idea.
Well, there's still a lot of preperation to be done before the first line of code is entered, and considering Xmas and all things may even face a delay.

And if Max3D doesn't come out, I'll look at the site of GL itself if I can find an easy way for my users to install GL (if they haven't already installed it, of course).

klepto2(Posted 2006) [#4]
OpenGl is normally part of the Gfxcard driver. And OGL will also be available for Vista, but only fully supported in Fullscreen mode.
So don't fear using ogl as all of your customers should have ogl installed already by driver side.

LarsG(Posted 2006) [#5]
It's very unlikely that Microsoft will "remove" OpenGL, as it's the basis for many commercial products..

Tricky(Posted 2006) [#6]
Thank you, Klepto.
As for full-screen mode.
Well, I guess it can't be helped.
But in windowed mode is better than nothing.
It's not that I'm that fond of DirectX, but it is what most windows-users use for games, and since it came to my attention that MicroSoft wanted to quit GL support, I needed to make things sure.

I hope to start on the preperations in the 1st week of January. I'll see then if Max3D really does come out or not. I guess MiniB3D is a good alternative then.

klepto2(Posted 2006) [#7]
I think you have misunderstood me a bit ;)

OpenGL will only work in fullscreen mode on Vista. The window mode will be emulated by DX so that will be the bottleneck with most Openg in Window apps.

marksibly(Posted 2006) [#8]

OpenGL will only work in fullscreen mode on Vista. The window mode will be emulated by DX so that will be the bottleneck with most Openg in Window apps.

Not true...

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=380046

It's true that the base Vista install wont include OpenGL drivers - but as soon as you update your driver you'll probably get full OpenGL support.

Tricky(Posted 2006) [#9]
Oops, sorry, Klepto.
I really need to learn to read... :D

And thanks for the link, Mark.