Sliding collision demo

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Sliding collision demo

simonh(Posted 2006) [#1]
Just a small demo demonstrating MiniB3D's sliding collision combined with the new octree system which keeps everything nice and fast:

http://www.si-design.co.uk/minib3d_sliding_collisions.zip

It's all done in Max code - no C code or external libs required. I'm pretty pleased about that as it means I don't have to worry about all the various distribution and cross-platform hassles involved with external libs.

That's all the major work done for 0.4, now it's a case of tidying everything up.

klepto2(Posted 2006) [#2]
Perfect, I can't wait to get my hand on this :)

Difference(Posted 2006) [#3]
WOW! Very cool. Running smoothly for me.

klepto2(Posted 2006) [#4]
In your worklog you said, that you have other ideas about where to use the octree system in minib3d. Could you explain in which components exactly.
Because I'm currently starting (again ;) ) my Terrain system and I'm using a Quadtree (best and resource friendly) for the
LOD Creation. So will your Octree handle the culling?
And could your octree be used easy for eg grass detail systems etc. ?

mongia2(Posted 2006) [#5]
wow
thans for your work

it is fantastic!

fusion on minb3d and klepto2 shaders?

mongia

Oddball(Posted 2006) [#6]
It works for the most part, but there are parts of the scenery where you can pass through the floor. For example in the lowest room near the wall opposite the stairs I can pass straight through the floor. There are other spots too.

impixi(Posted 2006) [#7]
Benjamin/klepto2,

A terrain system for MiniB3d would *really* be appreciated!

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#8]
Neat!
Very nice work, Simon, as always :)

(Oh no, that SVN stuff is going to have a lot of catching up to do!)

I'm really happy that this is all done in native Max, by the way. That's one of the reasons why I decided to focus on using MiniB3D, and it makes your engine work as a fine example of BlitzMax's pleasant open-endedness :)

Edit:
Collisions are flat out not working for me at what seems to be the end of the level, around that structure with the very narrow post things. Collisions not detected with that structure or anything near to it.

Kev(Posted 2006) [#9]
works very nice here also, although at the far wall in the room where you go downstairs the collisions not detected.

simonh(Posted 2006) [#10]
Oops, collisions are indeed non-existent at the far end of the level - it's due to the octree not fitting the level exactly. Fixed now..

So will your Octree handle the culling?
And could your octree be used easy for eg grass detail systems etc. ?

In theory yes, although I'm not sure when and how that will happen yet.

patmaba(Posted 2006) [#11]
Work correctly on my machine.

bravo

Punksmurf(Posted 2006) [#12]
Runs perfectly fine here, too, except for that one spot already mentioned. Rock steady 60-61fps.

Jason W.(Posted 2006) [#13]
Wow!

It ran great on my crappy work pc...58-60fps.

Nice job!

Jason

*(Posted 2006) [#14]
Cant wait for the next release now, will finally be able to explore Hunted's vast levels with collision :). May even get round to whacking out a demo

fredborg(Posted 2006) [#15]
Nice stuff!

FOODy(Posted 2006) [#16]
Nice :D
60 FPS

semar(Posted 2006) [#17]
Working fine on an Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 440, Win XP Pro SP2
ca 60 FPS

Well done.

Please keep one the good work...

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#18]
This is very nice. runs smooth and fast. well done Simon.

caff_(Posted 2007) [#19]
Very nice, thanks.

Filax(Posted 2007) [#20]
Very nice work, Simon, as always :)

WildStorm(Posted 2007) [#21]
Wow that's cool!

Works fine with Wine :D (60FPS)

*(Posted 2007) [#22]
When can we get hold of the new code, im itching to put it through its paces :)

simonh(Posted 2007) [#23]
A couple of weeks max hopefully.

When I posted the demo I had yet to work on sphere radiuses, mesh rotations and scaling, but that's all done now. Plus I've been tweaking the octree system a bit.

*(Posted 2007) [#24]
ok will wait till then 8), when its out I hope to release a alpha of the new Hunted game engine that im working on :). Will take some time to get it to the same state the old Blitz3d Hunted was at but with Max and MiniB3d it will be worth it :)