GMans Ib3d

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/GMans Ib3d

H&K(Posted 2006) [#1]
Why is it that Gmans b3d mod for irrlicht is being overshadowed by MiniB3D? They are both trying to do the same thing, that is provide b3d commands in Bmax. Yet loads of space seems to be dedicated to MiniB3D, and none to Ib3d.
1) Ib3d supports DX9 and 8, Open Gl, and Two software renders
2) On comparitive tests Seems to have more comparible speed to B3d
3) Actualy has the entity list ready done.

The source is there, maybe Gman hasnt, (or has), declared it open, but even in the state it is right now it works quite well. And if you want to add more things you have all of irrlicht to chose from.
I admit Ive only just started to look at it, and so may have missed some flaws, but I cannot see any. When the Gman has finished the wrapper for the new irrlicht release, I would recomend to everyone who isnt a MAC user to download it and see for yourself.

Infact, download it now. It is well worth a look

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#2]
I agree, Irrlicht is a fantastic engine and worth a shot; GMan's port of it is perfect.
I gave up on using it for my intents because it was too big for my feeble mind to handle, but I will definietly be using it again!
(It also wasn't being at all nice about loading any of my models, so I'm going to try it again a while from now when they've fixed that stuff up).

H&K(Posted 2006) [#3]
I gave up on using it for my intents because it was too big for my feeble mind to handle

Well... that is the point of Ib3d isnt it. Its all the Bliz3d commands, so easy to use. I agree totaly I get lost just looking at the demos for irrlicht itself. But IB3d is just a faster Minib3d.

simonh(Posted 2006) [#4]
Well MiniB3D's main strengths are that it's cross-platform and 100% BMax code - so anyone can change it and add to it as they please.

And I haven't really worked on MiniB3D's performance yet - so don't get writing MiniB3D off on that basis yet.

But I agree IrrB3D is a totally viable alternative - plus gman's work is always rock solid so you know you're getting something that's going to *work*.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#5]
Ive got nothing against Minib3d, I think it is realy well done, however, as far as Im aware this has been the only thread reasently to point out that Irrlicht also has a mod to add the B3d commands.

To be honest the only thing MiniB3D lacks as far as Im concerned is a good LOD terrain, which obviously IB3d has. I also much much preffer the way you have done the Types, which I normaly directly access rather than use the functions.

What I wanted to do was show that there was another "Blitz3d" engine for Bmax. And when it comes down to it, the nature of the commands being the same, means that you can drop either "Engine" directly into your project

Pinete(Posted 2006) [#6]
Hi,
Could you please point me where could I find the latest version of the wrapper of irrlicht engine for Bmax??

Thanks in advance,

dynaman(Posted 2006) [#7]
Here is the website I found

http://www.gprogs.com/forum/index.php

H&K(Posted 2006) [#8]
The new release 1.2 is mac as well. (Apparently)

gman(Posted 2006) [#9]
wow! some serious gman love in here. thx to all :)

yes this version does run on mac... at least it did on my intel mac mini. hopefully i will get some more success stories in the coming days.

given that, i want to take nothing away from what simon has done/will do. fantastic work and really fills the need for a lightweight, native 3D engine. it may seem weird coming from the Irrlicht/3Impact guy but im a big fan :)

i dont like to mention incomplete projects, but one of my back-burner black-ops projects that is probably around 60% complete is pulling out the model loading capabilities of Irrlicht into a mod usable by any engine. no use in reinventing the wheel and thought it would be a sweet companion to MiniB3D.

just dreaming, but another thing that would be neat (not sure how viable though) would be to have a whole set of abstract interface types similar to ISQLDB and the BMAX graphics drivers. then we could have backend implementations that are MiniB3D and Irrlicht. publish an interface and let people implement their engines.

as mentioned in my release post, i do plan on making ib3d better in the near future.