Something cool to look at!

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Something cool to look at!

Sledge(Posted 2006) [#1]
Aha! You've fallen into my trap, for the thread title is not an offer but A MIGHTY DEMAND: Can some of you lot upload some interesting MiniB3D-based demos/examples please... doesn't have to be anything complex, it would just be helpful to gauge the general attractiveness of the Max 'n' Mini combo.

Cheers.

Warren(Posted 2006) [#2]
If you download MiniB3D it comes with a bunch of examples and the corresponding Blitz3D/BlitzMax code so you can compare them side by side.

Sledge(Posted 2006) [#3]

If you download MiniB3D it comes with a bunch of examples and the corresponding Blitz3D/BlitzMax code

And I compile it... how? :D

EDIT: Perhaps I should have been clearer - it's exe's I'm asking for, so I can see if MiniB3D makes Max worth a punt.

Warren(Posted 2006) [#4]
Well, even without BlitzMax you could look at the code beside the Blitz3D code and see if you like it. If you like Blitz3D coding, MiniB3D should suit you fine.

Sledge(Posted 2006) [#5]
DO NOT DEFY MY MIGHTY DEMANDS, WARREN!

You've got the wrong end of the stick - it's the performance, look and feel of the apps I want to assess. I keep hearing this jibba-jabba about how cool a 3D solution MiniB3D is... well let's *see* it!

Somebody must've done something!

Punksmurf(Posted 2006) [#6]
Just download it and try it out for yourself? It should work with the demo...

Sledge(Posted 2006) [#7]
Nope, my demo has expired, hence the ask.

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#8]
Since you asked so nicely <g>, here are exes for the Bird & Firepaint demos that are included with MiniB3D (1.7 megs):

http://neonavis.com/wendellm/MiniB3Ddemo.zip

I upped these to 800x600 32-bit from the default 640x480 16-bit, set them for fullscreen, and UPXed them. I also used EntityShininess to tone down the canyon (which looked plastic-y to me at default shininess).

These use "Flip" for monitor sync. In my testing with "Flip 0", these MiniB3D versions run about two-thirds as fast as their Blitz3D versions (also at 800x600,32 with Flip 0) on my system: 350 FPS vs. 540 for Bird, and 63 FPS (maximum sparks falling straight onto camera) / 730 (no sparks) vs. 100 (full sparks) / 1000 (no sparks) for Firepaint.

DH(Posted 2006) [#9]
@WendellM

What do those results mean? I mean you say it runs 2/3 as fast as Blitz3d? meaning its slower?

when you say 350FPS vs 540, is 350 for minib3d or for blitz3d?

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#10]
Mini3D is slower on my system than Blitz3D (the 350 FPS is for MiniB3D vs. 540 for Blitz3D). That could be due to OpenGL vs. DirectX, or because MiniB3D is written in Max itself (which does make it possible to edit/expand as you like, which is quite nice).

Sledge(Posted 2006) [#11]
Many thanks for that, WendellM.

Bah - performance is visibly worse on my desktop, as you led me to expect, but that hardly matters as they won't even start on my laptop. Not much point developing stuff that won't run on an entry-level Dell. :(

Maybe try a reset, just to be sure... [blip!] ...awww, rats!

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#12]
You're welcome.

they won't even start on my laptop.

Does it have OpenGL drivers? Also, I could post a 16-bit or 24-bit color version for a different resolution if 32-bit 800x600 might be a problem (just let me know what settings are needed).

Sledge(Posted 2006) [#13]
Thanks for the offer but [scratches head] it should really be fine as-is. The laptop runs Quake III fine and can do 800x600 32bit no problem [checks JDoom with those settings just make sure] -- these budget laptops have a surprising amount of grunt (Tomb Raider Legend demo playable etc) but there are annoying omissions to the drivers (eg no hardware vertex under DX... no BloodRayne 2 for me!) so I guess MiniB3D does something a little too fancy with OGL.

Man, I thought I was going to find an excuse to buy Max for a moment there! Tell you what -- zip me up a 16-bit version at 640x480 and I'll give it a whirl. You never know!

Thanks again.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#14]
MiniB3D does nothing really fance in its base version. (MiniB3D, not the shader based one or XE)

So it should really be able to run.

But yes, even on high end, its only around 2/3 as fast as Blitz3D (7600GT with most actual drivers here).
But that was with Particle Candy, so it actually shows that MiniB3D has some real power :)

But it is in fact a good start, a really good :)

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#15]

zip me up a 16-bit version at 640x480 and I'll give it a whirl.

Here it is - good luck...

http://neonavis.com/wendellm/MiniB3Ddemo640.zip

Sledge(Posted 2006) [#16]
Gah! They still refuse to start - oh well, back to waiting. Ta for the zips WendellM.

kfprimm(Posted 2006) [#17]
They won't start on my computer too...I compiled it and it ran fine...strange.

Difference(Posted 2006) [#18]
MiniB3D is fine.
The trouble is with WendellMs exe files.

LarsG(Posted 2006) [#19]
Hi..

I took the liberty to put the exes and source in an archive...

get it here: http://lars.gretnes.net/miniB3D_exe.zip
(the archive is about 5.1 MB..)

someone let me know if I messed up, and need to remove it..
btw: the exe's are upx'ed..

Difference(Posted 2006) [#20]
LarsGs exes are fine, you should try those out Sledge.

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#21]
LarsG's exes run for you, Peter, but mine don't? Interesting.

I tried LarsG's exes and they run here in XP (though they're the examples rather than the demos). I wonder why mine run on my PC (and Sledge's desktop), but not on some others (like Sledge's laptop)? I, too, would be interested if Lars' run on Sledge's laptop.

I also just tried all exes in this thread in Win 98 SE (which has no Blitz/MiniB3D development stuff on it) and they all ran fine, so it doesn't seem to be an OS issue. I wonder, then, if it might be an AMD/Intel or other hardware issue? What hardware are you using, Peter, LarsG, Sledge, and Khomy?

BTW, my demos were compiled from MiniB3D 0.30 in case that might be different from LarsG's version. Also, my first set of demos were UPX compressed, but I left the second set uncompressed.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#22]
Did you modify your BMK in some way (optimation flags or specific compile flags for mingw) or do you use a not supported MingW version to recompile all modules? (ie MingW 3.4.2)

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#23]
Good idea, but no BMK flags; I'm using the BlitzMax standard IDE and MinGW 3.1.0.

Following up on that line of thought, I tried a fresh install of 1.18, updating to 1.22, and synching mods. I then built the Bird demo, renamed it with "plain," did a Rebuild All Modules, and built it again. This produced two files with different files sizes, both of which were different from my earlier build's size.

Sooo, I'd appreciate it if anyone who was unable to run my previous exes would try the two in this zip and let me know if one or both run for you:

http://neonavis.com/wendellm/TwoNewBirdDemos.zip

LarsG(Posted 2006) [#24]
WendellM;

I did those on my laptop, which is basically;
- ASUS A7J 17" WXGA+, ATI X1600-256, Core Duo T2300, 1 GB RAM, 100GB HD, DVD±RW, WLAN/BT
- WinXP Pro v.2002 SP2
- MingW 3.1.0

Difference(Posted 2006) [#25]
Both WendellMs new Bird demos run for me.
Windows XP Pro SP2, Radeon 9600XT.

Sledge(Posted 2006) [#26]
All is not well - only camerapick and light work on my laptop from LarsG's (thanks for trying, man!) set; most work on my desektop (although not all) but a couple error on exit.

Just d/l'ing WendellM's second (er, third!) set now...

Duckstab[o](Posted 2006) [#27]
both work for me

Sledge(Posted 2006) [#28]
Ack! No joy with TwoNewBirdDemos.zip either. Thanks all - disappointing failures but then it is early days.

Difference(Posted 2006) [#29]
@WendellM: You could try sticking something like this in the start of the programs:
		glewInit() ' required for glActiveTextureARB

If (GL_VERSION_1_3 | GL_VERSION_1_3 | GL_VERSION_1_4 | GL_VERSION_1_5 | GL_VERSION_2_0)
			'Notify "OpenGL 1.3 or better present"
			multitexturePresent = True
		ElseIf (GL_ARB_multitexture)
			multitexturePresent = True
			'Notify "GL_ARB_multitexture OK"
		Else
			runtimeerror "GL_ARB_multitexture MISSING!"		
		EndIf

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#30]
That's a good idea. As a standalone test, this:
Framework BRL.GLMax2D
Import "MiniB3D.bmx"

Local w,h,d,n$

w = Int( Input("Width? ") )
h = Int( Input("Height? ") )
d = Int( Input("Depth? ") )

Graphics3D w,h,d

If GL_VERSION_1_1 Then n :+ "OpenGL 1.1 found~n" Else n :+ "OpenGL 1.1 not found~n"
If GL_VERSION_1_2 Then n :+ "OpenGL 1.2 found~n" Else n :+ "OpenGL 1.2 not found~n"
If GL_VERSION_1_3 Then n :+ "OpenGL 1.3 found~n" Else n :+ "OpenGL 1.3 not found~n"
If GL_VERSION_1_4 Then n :+ "OpenGL 1.4 found~n" Else n :+ "OpenGL 1.4 not found~n"
If GL_VERSION_1_5 Then n :+ "OpenGL 1.5 found~n" Else n :+ "OpenGL 1.5 not found~n"
If GL_VERSION_2_0 Then n :+ "OpenGL 2.0 found~n" Else n :+ "OpenGL 2.0 not found~n"

If GL_ARB_multitexture Then
	n :+ "GL_ARB_multitexture = true"
Else 
	n :+ "GL_ARB_multitexture = false"
EndIf

Notify n
is now available in compiled form here:

http://neonavis.com/wendellm/gltest.zip

as a way to check out OpenGL capabilities. Width, height, and depth don't really seem to matter (any values work), but I allow a choice just in case.

Sledge(Posted 2006) [#31]
Now then - OGL 1.5 and 2.0 are not found on my laptop... given what you guys are doing would that be significant?

LarsG(Posted 2006) [#32]
SimonH would be the right person to answer that one.. :p

Leiden(Posted 2006) [#33]
It might only support basic Shaders or none at all. - In a nutshell.