Subtopic of MiniB3d Personal Version

BlitzMax Forums/MiniB3D Module/Subtopic of MiniB3d Personal Version

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#1]
This is from this thread; I didn't want to hijack it.

I'm looking at a few potential options for potential hosting here for the somewhat discussed idea of an easily modified (on a global scale) version of MiniB3d.
Er... community project*, though I am afraid of mentioning those words.
As is obvious (and as has been sort of discussed) this would be to create a spin-off of MiniB3d which is something a bit more complicated than its original intent.

Some possibilities:

-Sourceforge. Looks scary :b
I do quite like SourceForge, but I'm not entirely sure how well a project like this, which requires non-free software to use, would do on there. It also has a very frightening interface.

-BerliOS looks cool. I'm not entirely fond of their web site, but it could be good.

-code.google.com I didn't know they actually hosted projects until just now. It looks neat and tidy... and we can trust the servers to be fast. 100 MB of storage, too!
The only problem so far is I have no idea what kind of rules they have. It looks like you can host anything there, but there's all this "Google-related code" stuff that confuses me. (Since it is never actually explained what "Google-related code" is).
Anyway, looks like one can just register a project in seconds with any popular license.

-I could host this on a quicky SVN repo of my own which I've set up. The connection is very slow and it could disconnect at any moment because it's working wirelessly via a very bad router... so it wouldn't work well.
To make that choice worse: I am too lazy to configure my SVN server, so it's very insecure and lets anonymous users play with files.
I have a few ideas at the ready to build an easy and completely web-based PHP-powered solution (so I can continue to avoid payed web hosting for now), but that would take a while and not work well.

A problem with almost all of these except the obvious worst choice: We'll need one of those complicated licenses. MIT, Lesser GPL and MPL are worth checking out...

What are your suggestions?
How should we go about sorting licensing? Also, it looks like a slight name / subtitle change should be done as well, to keep things coherent. (MiniB3d Unstable springs to mind).

Unfortunately, I'm afraid of forking or re-licensing anything, so someone else has to say it.

Simon, feel free to pop in and toss out any demands or 'Stop it!'s you want.
No pressure; I don't mind at all if you want to keep this small and I'm perfectly willing to drop the idea if you don't like it. It's your code, after all :)

Edit:
Here is a quickly written quick description of the project, by the way:
Originally written by Simon Harrison, MiniB3d is a simple, native and cross-platform 3d engine written for BlitzMax. It features a naturally simple design similar to Blitz3d.

The project is open source and freely available, though only of real interest to users who own BlitzMax or those interested in 3d OpenGL engines.

Lacks a description of what BlitzMax or Blitz3d are, which I suppose is necessary. I did have something there like that in the description, but I didn't like it. (Must keep simple).

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#2]
What exactly is wrong with the si-design.co.uk download method?

If it turns into a module I would hope it would subsequently be hosted on the brl pub modserver.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#3]
What exactly is wrong with the si-design.co.uk download method?

Because that relies on one person - simon - contributing to the codebase. No-one else can work (in a controlled manner) on the code.

Now, simon may well want to retain his own version independently that only contains his (or his approved) changes, which he is of course entitled to do, and I can fully understand him wanting to do so.

But assuming simon is happy for a public, modified version to exist under (say) the GPL, it can only be a good thing to develop that on a CVS or SVN system that many people can contribute to. Better that, and have a single version, than 5 different versions with different tweaks.

So, to reflect your question: What exactly is it that you have against open source projects skid?

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#4]
I personally like the linux development model, people publish patches, the community tests them out for a period then the maintainer linus adds them to the codebase. The 4 threads of minib3d development so far illustrate this model at work quite nicely if you ask me.

Craig Watson(Posted 2006) [#5]
There's at least a few games that use Blitz on SourceForge already. If projects requiring closed source/non-free tools weren't allowed, there wouldn't be .NET or (until recently) Java based projects on there either.

Subversion or CVS isn't that hard to use once you know a few commands. Don't know what else is frightening about it, you only have to use what you need.

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#6]
Okley, so SF is open but still with more features than we would need :)
(Obviously so, actually; that's what makes GNU Savannah different from it, and why MaxIDE CE is on Sourceforge).
They do give some nice stuff, though, so a very viable candidate.

I'm liking the looks of this Google Code thing. It has that clean look and the simple navigation that I've come to appreciate... and an instant project sign-up process.
I've chosen to ignore that it is run by the company that has a frightening grasp on everything to do with the web.

To settle a debate before it begins:
I'm thinking a mix of Skidracer's thoughts and the 'monkeys at a typewriter' method.
The unstable versions would be on SVN, then a mod server could be dumped somewhere which hosts a stable version. Because of how different mod servers and SVN repos seem to be, the stable releases would all have to run through at least one human before being made available.

dmaz(Posted 2006) [#7]
I would like to ask why have any license at all. I don't see any mention of a license for use in simon's source. I would fully understand if he placed a license on this code but he basically declared it as public at the top of the source....

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#8]
Yes, it is an unfortunate case; most of these services expect us to have a license. I'll see what happens if I don't specify...
A little credit-protecting license couldn't hurt, though.

Edit:
Google code assumes that I'm saying Apache License if I do not specify.

Edit Edit:
Okay, I've just gone and set up a quick Google Code site to play with. (Please forgive my impatience. I can delete it if need be). Using LGPL for now because I was forced to choose from a list of mysterious licenses. It's like GPL, but it allows non-GPL software to link to it, which is very important!.
http://code.google.com/p/minib3d-unstable/
Any enterprising fellow may sign up and add their code. For now I will be adding klepto2's recent work on splitting up MiniB3d into separate files and adding (ingeniously easy!) shader support.
Don't worry, that name is still changeable. (By deleting the project :b).

Unfortunately, it seems I cannot do much to specify who did what. I'll make it clear somewhere...

klepto2(Posted 2006) [#9]
Nice Idea, I will join as soon as i'm at home :)